Discus wont eat please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got 2 discus about 4 days ago and they still won't eat they swim all around and seem healthy their color is bright and vivid I just don't get why they won't eat please help I love these fish and want them to make it. My water is at 85 degrees F /amonia 0/nitrate 5-10ppm/ph 6.8ish(it's hard for me to tell exactly) please let me know if anyone has experience with these guys and how to entice them to eat

What have you been feeding them? Frozen bloods worms or fortified brime shrimp and Mysis should get them to start feeding.

ocean said:
What have you been feeding them? Frozen bloods worms or fortified brime shrimp and Mysis should get them to start feeding.

I try flakes in the morning and frozen blood worms at night but so far they won't touch either I expected this for a couple days but I'm starting to get worried did a 40% water change maybe that will help?

So basically you are facing problems regarding new stock that you introduced in your main tank. Here i describe how to introduce a new discus into your main tank:

1.Whenever you buy new discus (whatever adult or juvenile) please DO NOT introduce in your main tank directly. First keep them in a quarantine tank, treat them and then introduce in your main tank.

2.Keep all your new discus in a quarantine tank.

4.Don’t put any kind of filter into it. Rather use heavy aeration.

5.Use oxytetracycline 500 mg for quarantine purpose. Dosage is 4 tablets per 100 litre of water.

6.After first 3 days of dosing change 100% water and redoes it.

7.Each dosing process will continue for 4 times. So that there will be total 12 days to complete this quarantine process.

8.Don’t feed them for first 3 days. Then feed them in small quantity. Then increase feeding quantity gradually.

Thanks I will def do that from now on but they're already in my main tank( they're the only 2 fish in there) is there any special food that tends to entice them to eat more then others?

no.IMO please separate those 2 newcomers and start quarantine process.after that introduce your main tank.i am sure you'll see much better result than now...

boadams87 said:
Why do u use meds if there's not anything wrong?

I agree don't use medication that isn't necessary imo. I've never quarantined a fish before and had no problem. That's not to say that you shouldn't quarantine, just that I don't. Maybe they're just stressed. You could try leaving the lights off for a bit.

discus_lover said:
no.IMO please separate those 2 newcomers and start quarantine process.after that introduce your main tank.i am sure you'll see much better result than now...

You would quarantine 2 fish if it's the only 2 fish? I get a quarantine if you have an established tank with 25 other fish but if these are the only fish what would be the purpose of a quarantine?

I wouldn't worry about a new fish not eating until a week passed. The first week I chalk it up to stress and adjusting to new tank and surroundings.

if any fish stops eating,then this may not be worry to you,but i have.i always quarantine my discus before introducing my main tank.

@ boad, if a discus stops eating,then there is obviously some problem.it can also be said that discus is infected by worms.also that fish is stressed.but if a discus is stressed for more than 5-7 days then that is little bit worry to me. so i follow my own rule.and i find that after those treatment discus fishes are cured.

if a discus is well settled then it can take 2 days max to adjust in the new tank.

i think we always have different way of success towards discus journey.i may success in a way and you may successs in diufferent way.

so as you suggested,i request mr jesselav to follow your rules.if still those discus don't turn well,then he may try mine.

Thanks for all the input guys appreciate it they seemed to be eating stuff off of my moss balls and I think they ate some bloodworms that made it to the ground so hopefully their appetites pep up soon

They seem to be eating more off the bottom of the tank and off the moss balls im taking this as a good sign wish me luck!

(update) they seem to be getting hungrier an hungrier every day they still seem to eat off the bottom mostly but they are definitely eating now and more and more each day it seems

Tonight is the first night they both ate and are no longer waiting for the food to hit the bottom! They really love the blood worms

Back
Top Bottom