Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for some links to some good sites with information about discus. If anyone knows any, please let me know! Would they get along with angels, or do they do better in a species only tank?

They get along with angels but angels aren't the best choice. Discus are slow and angels are aggressive eaters. The discus just can't keep up in my experience. Hopefully BrianNY will chime in on some good sites for you.

Angels at first seem to be very similar to discus and seem like they would go great together.

They do not go great together!
Angels are much faster and if you can believe it much more aggressive. The main problem with keeping them together is that angels hog all of the food and then you have to feed large amounts to get your discus enough food and then your water quality goes bad and that is one of the most important things for discus. Believe me, Ive(am) trying it, doesn't work well.

My experience with Angels and Discus is completely different. They got along didn't bother each other at feeding time and all got well fed. The angels fought for food amongst themselves. Just got to keep up the daily pwcs.

Awesome. I do live in the Detroit area. I'll have to check that place out sometime. What's the recommended tank size for Discus?

tetras and the disc

would discus be ok with tetras? sorry if this sounds stupid but im looking to get a large tank to mostly stock with tetras but im looking for some colorfull large fish to also go in the tank that wont hurt or eat any of the tetras

The first time discus owner should never mix discus with other fish. There are just too many potential problems. You should get to know and provide the discus with their best possible environment.

That being said, the only cichlids I would ever mix with discus are dwarf species. Certain of the tetras (cardinals, rummy nose, black neons), do make for the perfect tank mates when kept in schools of 6 or more. Likewise clown loaches and corydoras make for a good clean up crew.

Discus are best kept in groups of 5 or more. A minimum of 55 gallons would be required for 5, and no other fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom