Discussion Time - Gravel or Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would use a new one if you have one. One that has been washed is not a good idea to use in the tank. Also and with respect, a used one will have sweat in it. As Jessica said, they are super cheap to buy. Like a few dollars for a massive bag of it....

I was just playing I have some in a bag the tenant before me was evicted and she was into crafts and such

I would recommend the one that sticks with suction cups to the back. I had airstones in my tank and the bubbles kept stirring up the sand and I had sand constantly floating around the tank. If you put the airstone at least 1" off the bottom you should be ok. I ended up taking mine out, as sand constantly got onto the stone, from my Kribs and Corys digging.....

Actually, I advise against those with the "suction cups" -- I had those, the Top Fin tubes, in a previous tank and they were HORRIBLE, disintegrating after some use and NEVER staying put, not to mention the bubbles they NEVER made...

I always recommend these, as they have been pumping steadily since I put them in:
800443086414C.jpg

I have two 18" bars side by side being fed by a Top Fin AIR-8000 (four air outlets, in which I've "bridged" two each to feed the bars individually) and these things are incredible -- the most bubbles I have ever had. They "bury" beneath the gravel so just the surface area of the bar is exposed, allowing the bubbles to flow like a curtain...(y)

Actually, I advise against those with the "suction cups" -- I had those, the Top Fin tubes, in a previous tank and they were HORRIBLE, disintegrating after some use and NEVER staying put, not to mention the bubbles they NEVER made...

I always recommend these, as they have been pumping steadily since I put them in:

I have two 18" bars side by side being fed by a Top Fin AIR-8000 (four air outlets, in which I've "bridged" two each to feed the bars individually) and these things are incredible -- the most bubbles I have ever had. They "bury" beneath the gravel so just the surface area of the bar is exposed, allowing the bubbles to flow like a curtain...(y)

But we are on to the point where I already picked sand so I can't burry anything

Sorry, only skimmed through most of this thread. Did you end up with the Ray 2? That's quite a lot of light, which is why normally I'd recommend going with a substrate more plant-specific like EcoComplete (or anything similar). But nothing wrong with sand too! Obviously you can't beat the price and I like how it looks too.

Indeed, it is really light, but these bars don't require much to weigh them down in the substrate; it's up to you, but you can always try the Petco bars and return them if you don't like 'em...

I'm worried a out the bubbles being to close to the sand not the ability to hold it down. It's like the disturbance being to close to the sand could cause it to cloud up

What next I have 2 half filled 5 gallon buckets of washed sand 1 filled with 85% of my old substrate took it out in segments today I will get the last out. And 1 empty 5 gallon bucket .

And 1 dechlorinated but empty"fish wise" 26 gallon tank.

What are the steps I should take toward finishing my transition to sand ?

I can put all the sand into 1 bucket and that will give me 2 empty 5 gallon buckets.

How much of the original water should I keep ?
Would the fish be okay to go into the 36 gallon I just filled ?

3 long fin zebra danios
1 regular zebra danio
1 platy
1 dwarf gourami
2 ghost shrimp .

Also my sand smells like chlorine or a pool it's Pretty strong I slept in the room
With the buckets last night woke up this morning to my chest and lungs killing me

Also my sand smells like chlorine or a pool it's Pretty strong I slept in the room
With the buckets last night woke up this morning to my chest and lungs killing me

Are you breathing in the dust? I never noticed a Chlorine smell and I have worked with it multiple times. When I work with it I put it straight from the bag into a pillow case. Then wash it. Once it us wet dust usually isn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom