Discussion Time - Gravel or Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you breathing in the dust? I never noticed a Chlorine smell and I have worked with it multiple times. When I work with it I put it straight from the bag into a pillow case. Then wash it. Once it us wet dust usually isn't an issue.

It's wet it's Leslie's pool filter sand if that makes a difference. And I didn't do the pillow case step just stirred a couple 1/4 filled buckets and dumped each about 10 times

I guess I'm just going to put the fish in the 26 gallon tank that i filled this morning and keep roughly 10 gallons of original tank water
Tank is only 20 gallons . Only bummer is ill have to do this all again once I make my tank stand

Also any recommendations on how to clean the bottom of the tank that had gravel to get every last bit of debris out

That's weird about the smell. There shouldn't be a smell of bleach. Is it only that one bucket, if so, I wouldn't use it.
On the polyfil, are you running or planning on running the carbon in the C3??
To clean the bottom of the 20g, I am gonna suggest the obvious, just fill it and pour it out.....

That's weird about the smell. There shouldn't be a smell of bleach. Is it only that one bucket, if so, I wouldn't use it.
On the polyfil, are you running or planning on running the carbon in the C3??
To clean the bottom of the 20g, I am gonna suggest the obvious, just fill it and pour it out.....

I guess I could take out the foam out of the C3 and just full the basket with polyfill ?

Also I've only used these buckets for my aquarium nothing else !

And I suppose I could do that lol
What should I do with my fish and filters during the change over period?

I would leave the foam in and take out the carbon(keep it for future), you don't need that, fill that tray with polyfil. I've no answer on the smell. With it being so cheap, I would dump that bucket of sand and clean more.
Just put the filter media and fish in one of buckets with used or dechlorinated water. You don't need to fill it with old tank water. You can use new water, declord of course....haha. Use the heater if you think you need it. It should only take a few hours to do or you can add the fish straight after you fill up, if water temperature is good.

I would leave the foam in and take out the carbon(keep it for future), you don't need that, fill that tray with polyfil. I've no answer on the smell. With it being so cheap, I would dump that bucket of sand and clean more.
Just put the filter media and fish in one of buckets with used or dechlorinated water. You don't need to fill it with old tank water. You can use new water, declord of course....haha. Use the heater if you think you need it. It should only take a few hours to do or you can add the fish straight after you fill up, if water temperature is good.

I'm going to have my girl friend sniff it see if she thinks it smells odd .

Also it's all 50 pounds of sand .

image-3061877295.jpg

Look ikea furniture holding almost 250 pounds of water !

Just my 20 gallon other tank is filled but emptyminus heater, air stone , thermometer, and an I tank filter that's good for up to 5 gallons.
50lbs should be plenty for a 20g, even after loss from washing. I used 60lbs in my 55g and I have 2" of sand.
After you give the 20g a good filtering with the polyfil, you should consider a 100ml bag of Purigen in the carbon basket. It'll make your water sparkle. You have polyfil already on the back of that sponge. When that polyfil on the sponge starts to break down, have a look for some polyfil batting(?). It comes on a roll and is flat, so fits nicely behind the sponge....

50lbs should be plenty for a 20g, even after loss from washing. I used 60lbs in my 55g and I have 2" of sand.
After you give the 20g a good filtering with the polyfil, you should consider a 100ml bag of Purigen in the carbon basket. It'll make your water sparkle. You have polyfil already on the back of that sponge. When that polyfil on the sponge starts to break down, have a look for some polyfil batting(?). It comes on a roll and is flat, so fits nicely behind the sponge....

On my c3 the sponge and batting are all 1 piece it's weird

I guess I'm just going to put the fish in the 26 gallon tank that i filled this morning and keep roughly 10 gallons of original tank water
Tank is only 20 gallons . Only bummer is ill have to do this all again once I make my tank stand

Also any recommendations on how to clean the bottom of the tank that had gravel to get every last bit of debris out

Siphon it out till all the water is gone then put a few inches of fresh water back in and repeat until everything is gone. I did this when I switched some tanks I set up quickly.

Its all my sand in 1 bucket
I don't have any personal experience with that sound but that doesn't sound good. You should start a new thread for that and see what people say. I think it might be best to start over. No point in setting everything up, adding fish and them all dying. You'd have to strip it all out and start fresh....

Back
Top Bottom