Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Time to say what I always say.. Fast deaths with few to no symptoms leads me to columnaris.
Long and short is antibiotics [kanamycin and furan2] together.
First link [you are strain 4] .
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrJ7...689.html/RK=0/RS=8DOePKdkvuAoJ8Tx6GZNp1KCAD4-
Second link
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A2KLfS...ris.html/RK=0/RS=ZULG0cA_Vv8Tk_Msjb8K995pVpU-

That's the gold gourami right not the pearl?
Might just try carbon ? Sounds like deaths are tied to water changes..Maybe there is something in the water?

Bruce
Man that's difficult to look at. I did not notice any Ick or Oodinium on the corpses. I didn't see any outward white growths that would be consistent with bacteria either. If you are certain your water chemistry is within normal parameters, and the meds you have been using isn't knocking them off, then the culprit is likely an internal bacterial infection, Columnaris.
Although antibiotics are available, you would be hard pressed to find anyone on AA who has successfully healed a bacterially infected fish with meds.
IMO your best course of action is to try and save the remaining fish by upping your WC's paying special attention to cleaning the gravel.
Question: when you upgraded your tank, did you transfer the gravel from the old tank to the new. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes it unleashes all kinds of nasty pathogen populations that had previously been dormant. Good luck. Hopefully things will level out soon.

What's your nitrate? 0? If it is your tank ain't cycled. And probably having ammonia spikes. Are you testing before water changes?

Your gourami looks like its got ammonia burn on the mouth area. I'd start testing your water everyday before water changes. Probably gonna have to start doing more water changes to get the tank cycled.

Ammonia and nitrites have been zero for months ( I took some to fish shop to recheck in case) nitrates are zero or trace ( all before water changes)

Ammonia and nitrites have been zero for months ( I took some to fish shop to recheck in case) nitrates are zero or trace ( all before water changes)
I'm pretty sure your tanks not cycled. Seems like it might be trying to cycle, but if your cleaning too much and doing alot of water changes, or adding meds without taking your carbon out (if the meds say remove filter media or carbon) then it's killing the good bacteria and making your tank go through the cycle all over again. And that will cause the ammonia spikes and kill them. Test your water tomorrow morning then again at night see where your at. And I wouldn't use anymore meds. Test everyday til you see something. The nitrate shouldn't be at 0. And no need for water changes until you see ammonia or nitrite too high.

I'm pretty sure your tanks not cycled. Seems like it might be trying to cycle, but if your cleaning too much and doing alot of water changes, or adding meds without taking your carbon out (if the meds say remove filter media or carbon) then it's killing the good bacteria and making your tank go through the cycle all over again. And that will cause the ammonia spikes and kill them. Test your water tomorrow morning then again at night see where your at. And I wouldn't use anymore meds. Test everyday til you see something. The nitrate shouldn't be at 0. And no need for water changes until you see ammonia or nitrite too high.
And test your tap water. Some nitrate can be misleading on your tests and your only getting traces of nitrate because it's in your tap water already.

Hi and thank you for the various replies. The tank was and is well cycled with minimal ammonia,!nitrates or nitrites. The fish seemed to stop dying during malachite green treatment but started dying again afterwards each time (I tried treating on 3 separate occasions). Presumably if slowed the growth but failed to eradicate what I suspect was Columnaris as suggested by of the posters here. The I tried tetracycline after the last malachite green treatment. Hopefully I’m not tempting fate by posting this but it is now 16 days without losing any more fish. So hopefully the mystery disease is eradicated. Thought I’d give it a full month before starting to replace some of the stock I lost.

Back
Top Bottom