Disoriented Yo-Yo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Earlier this evening I looked over at my tank and saw one of my adult yoyo loaches dart up to the surface, appeared to smack into the glass, and then collapse on the bottom on his side. He was gasping quite hard, but no other signs of illness - no spots, big eyes, bloated belly, ratty fins or anything unusual at all. Since then I have seen him flopped over on his side among the plants, and when he does swim, he is upsidedown or sideways and quite wobbly. At one point I saw him dart about again and I heard him smack the underside of the canopy.

Tank has been running for 5+ years, no new fish added in almost a year, this fish is 2-3 years old I figure. I did a pwc a week ago, and parameters are 0-0-20. Nothing else weird going on.

Right now he is nose-down in the gravel with his body flopped over to one side. He's no longer gasping and looks normal except for the way he is acting. I put in a dose of melafix/pimafix just because I have it on hand and it is too late to pick up something else.

Something is definitely very wrong with this fish and I am quite concerned.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

How long has he been in the tank? Did you do anything different at the wc? Is your ph stable?

He's been here for at least 2 years. Nothing unusual has been done and all params are normal. No other fish is showing signs of illness.

Today he is worse and mostly just lying on his side (or upside down) at the bottom of the tank and when he does move it seems that he is just barely able to swim at all and remains on his side and can't really move straight. There are still no other physical signs of illness.

Should I quarintine him? At this point I feel like the stress of a move might kill him. I also feel like if I just leave him like this he will die also.

Nope, none else is acting strange including the other 2 Yoyos. They are all rather sprightly in fact as I did partial water change this afternoon.

I think they are supposed to live for at least 5 years. I definitely don't think these are natural causes at work... :(

Back
Top Bottom