Distilled vs ro water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please help. The beliefs of my lfs owner seem to be different then what my research has showed. I thought ro water was better then distilled but apparently ro water is what's giving me phosphates:( opinions please

Oh, and the ro water is what I have been using for top off, because I recently stopped using distilled for top off because of what the web generally agrees on..... I'm kind of lost here

I don't know about RO water giving phosphates but I can tell you I use distilled water to top off and my tank is 10 months old now and no issues to report.

RO DI water should have no phosphates but the food you feed your fish can have phosphates. Rinse all frozen foods in RO DI water before feeding it to the tank. Use a phosphate remover will help too. RO filtered water will still have phosphates in it.

Okay my topoff source does have the Di part. So I guess I'm just going to use distilled in till I have the money to invest in a high quality rodi unit. This seems like something I should not skimp on.

Back
Top Bottom