DIY Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I finally set up some DIY co2 last night and now I have a few questions. It is being very infrequent with the bubbles. I am getting about 30 bubbles every minute or so sometimes it happens sooner sometimes longer. Is this just because I just set it up and its just starting? Also what is the best/preferred method for diffusion? Right now I have the bubbles going into my intake on my filter (really annoying sound!!) so I would like to try a different way. Also with using the filter its not really pushing the bubbles far down in the tank just kind of at the top so I figure thats not the best way for me. I think that is all for now! Any advice or help you guys have would be awesome! Thank you!

So I finally set up some DIY co2 last night and now I have a few questions. It is being very infrequent with the bubbles. I am getting about 30 bubbles every minute or so sometimes it happens sooner sometimes longer. Is this just because I just set it up and its just starting? Also what is the best/preferred method for diffusion? Right now I have the bubbles going into my intake on my filter (really annoying sound!!) so I would like to try a different way. Also with using the filter its not really pushing the bubbles far down in the tank just kind of at the top so I figure thats not the best way for me. I think that is all for now! Any advice or help you guys have would be awesome! Thank you!
you can get a glass diffuser from eBay. They're pretty cheap.

I am attaching mine to a powerhead so I get the best diffusion I can. Until it gets here I have it on an air stone and it is right underneath the overflow on my HOB and I am losing a lot but I still see tiny bubbles all over the tank. I also have a drop checker and reference solution on the way to make sure I am getting good saturation.

Glass diffusers do not work well with diy CO2. They do not get enough pressure. I am using a powerhead from an underground filter to disperse it in my 29 gallon. You can get a small, cheap internal filter and feed the CO2 into that to disperse it. Check Youtube for video on how. I am using a syringe in my 5 and ten gallon tanks. You get a medicine syringe like you give children or pets meds with, take out the plunger, put some cotton balls or filter floss inside it, attach air line tubing to the tip and mount it under the filter output. It works like a bell diffuser. Seems to be working good so far. You can also stick a chopstick, cigarette filter or air stone into the end of the tubing and place it under the outflow of the filter. You get very fine bubbles this way. You didn't say how big your tank is. If you have a larger tank, you may need more than one setup of CO2 bottles. The rate at which bubbles are produced will vary depending on how warm the room is. Warmer room, you get more bubbles, cooler room, it slows down. Usually by the second week the gas production slows down too. Shaking the bottle every few days seems to help with how much CO2 you get also. You can get wine yeast on amazon for cheap and it lasts longer than bread yeast. I have also heard that Brewer's yeast works well but I have not tried it. I can post photos of my setups if you want to see them.

It is a 40 gallon tank. I have two one gallon bottles hooked up. I wasn't going to try the diy approach at first but other people told me I could just use the larger bottles and be okay. And yeah I didn't think the glass diffuser would work. I just hooked it up to a smaller filter and it seems to be slightly better. And it started producing more as the room warmed up. I keep the bedroom very cold at night.

You should be okay then. I keep thinking of getting a pressurized CO2 system but the money hold me back. The diy is working fine and is a lot cheaper. Keep in mind that it may ruin your impeller though. CO2 destroys plastic. I ruined two different impellers that way. That is why I went with an old underground power head I had laying around. It has held up very well. I don't know if the plastic was better way back then or what. The power head is at least 15 years old.

Oh gotcha. Yeah it was running with my AC50 but now its on a little cheap HOB but I still am going to try a different way here soon. I cut two of my fingers up recently (doing fish tank related stuff of course lol) so I have been trying to avoid having my hands in the water lol. Also since plants dont use any or as much co2 at night will it hurt if my room is super cold therefore not making much co2 during the night?

it worked great when I had the diy set up.

Abe86 - Do you recall which brand of diffuser did you use? Are glass diffusers different from ceramic diffusers? I've heard of Fluval 88 diffusers mentioned with DIY CO2 but not sure how well it worked.

I am currently directing the CO2 into the filter intake on one of the two AC50s in my tank. I am using two sponges instead of one with biomax on top. The idea is that the bubbles will get trapped in the sponge to increase contact time. What I do see of a fine stream of bubbles in the HOB outflow. Hoping the CO2 does not damage the impeller. I am using silicone airline tubing instead the clear plastic because the latter tends to harden and develop leaks.

BB sorry to hijack

Abe86 - Do you recall which brand of diffuser did you use? Are glass diffusers different from ceramic diffusers? I've heard of Fluval 88 diffusers mentioned with DIY CO2 but not sure how well it worked. I am currently directing the CO2 into the filter intake on one of the two AC50s in my tank. I am using two sponges instead of one with biomax on top. The idea is that the bubbles will get trapped in the sponge to increase contact time. What I do see of a fine stream of bubbles in the HOB outflow. Hoping the CO2 does not damage the impeller. I am using silicone airline tubing instead the clear plastic because the latter tends to harden and develop leaks. BB sorry to hijack
I bought some cheap eBay glass diffuser from a Chinese seller. I didn't see any brand names on it. They're are only around $4.

You can keep the CO2 going all night, just watch for PH drops. I have enough stuff to buffer mine and just leave it going all the time. As long as your KH is at least 6 you should be good.

Fresh - I don't mind! Other peoples experiences are always good! Also my co2 doesn't completely stop at night but it slows down a lot since it gets so cold in the room. Is this okay? I have read about people using heating pads to keep it warm all the time or at night but I really don't want to do that. So will it be okay slowing down some at night? Also I tried the cigarette filter (was kind of big didnt mess with it much) and an air stone but apparently the pressure wasnt enough to push any bubbles through either of them. So I am back to square one with it going into my filters intake. :/ I might try messing with the cigarette filter some more tomorrow and trying some other stuff. Whats the deal with the co2 bells? How well do they work? Do they make any difference? Thank you!

Oh one more question. Is there any way to check the co2 without a drop checker? I plan to get one soon but would like to check it if at all possible.

The bells work by holding the CO2 in the dome. Then you place it near the outflow were there is water movement. The water moves over the CO2 bubble and picks up some of it and distributes it around the tank. I am using that method in my 5 and 10 gallon tanks. So far it seems to be working. I have high light on these tanks and do not have any algae problem. My plants are growing really well. I do not think it would work as well in a larger tank though.

I am using 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast to a large juice jug. I fill the jug two thirds full. I played around with other mixtures but none worked as well or better than the one I posted. I tried adding baking soda, using sugar syrup, using unflavored jello but the original mixture beat them all for me. I just change it every two weeks. I have went as long as 4 weeks. I forgot to change it. I then had an algae outbreak. I now note it in a journal when I change it and mark a calendar. No more forgetting for me. I experimented for month with different diffusers but always went back to the power head and the bell type diffusers.

I use the same recipe as wildroseofky. One thing I have done recently before adding the yeast is to pour a small amount of the sugar water solution in a cup and microwave it for 10-20 seconds. By reheating and adding cool water I adjust it to 105-115 degrees Fahrenheit (I use a baking thermometer). THEN I mix in the yeast and in a minute or two the swollen yeast granules float to the surface all at once. I let it sit for a few minutes before adding it to the juice container with the rest of the sugar water solution. It usually starts producing CO2 immediately.

Oh one more question. Is there any way to check the co2 without a drop checker? I plan to get one soon but would like to check it if at all possible.
I don't think so. Possibly by measuring the change in pH and plugging into a formula but I believe it is not reliable.
I need to get a drop checker myself. At an LFS I saw a drop checker by Sera. Have not found many reviews on that product.

I forgot to mention warming the water. I just adjust the faucet water to slightly warm then add the sugar and then the yeast. It usually starts making CO2 within a couple of minutes. I also add a few drops of Prime to get rid of the chlorine. That seems to make things start better. I also noticed that I do not have as much of a "beer" smell when I empty it. Maybe the Prime help neutralize some of the ammonia that is produced and keeps the yeast working longer and better.

Oh one more thing: when I setup a new batch I don't pour out the entire contents of the previous batch. I leave the heavy stuff on the bottom. IMO there is viable yeast that can be "reused".

Back
Top Bottom