DIY Coke Bottle Gravel Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I saw somewhere that you can use a coke bottle as a gravel vac. I am wondering because I have a small 10gal under my 30 and cleaning it with my siphon vac is a pain as my gravel vac is too large for the small tank . Anyway anyone know how to make the vac correctly?

I was thinking cutting the bottle to correct length then drilling a hole in the cap slightly smaller then the hose and just pushing the hose in when I need to use it, or buy a male connector and glue it in for more of a finished porject. What do you all think?

I think your best bet would be to buy the male adapter and glue that to the cap. Sounds like a good idea, post some pics when you're done!

I tried it out, seems to do alright, the suction could be stronger but it is the right size for a small low tank like mine.

Attachments

• img_1277_140.jpg
    img_1277_140.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 193
  • img_1278_822.jpg
    img_1278_822.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 209
I have the same proplum But I went about a little differnt. At frist i thought it would be just as easy to make one myself also. But never could get it to suck as good as my reglur one did. So I went out and bought a new vacum and then took some masking tape and raped it around the pick up tube about 3inches from where the tubing attachs to it. then I took my hack saw and cut it right above the tape.
WHAW LAL a vacum cleaner short and with better sucktion power then it's big brother. It has double the pick up power of the full size one for some reason. Plus it gets under the catain plnts and around the heater and down tubes alot better. In the larger tanks. Just a little in put if the one you maded doesn't have the pick up or sucktion you like or want. Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom