DIY Filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had another thought. (tends to happen while I'm at work :S)

What if I up the flow to 300GPH and run the Bioball chamber in parrallel with the Fluidized bed? using the ball valves on the unit to restrict the flow to the fluidized bed, the remaining flow (probably 200GPH) through the Reactor. Also I'll inject the Co2 through a T in the intake (similar to a venturi) that will put small bubbles into the reactor with no problem of it ever affecting the FB filtration.

I also read, the slower the flow through a FB filter, the better it works (more contact time).

I don't want to burn out impellers on the pump by introducing it through the impeller (besides, the noise from my DIY running through an impeller is already bugging me)

I also tested a theory. Using a 300GPH pump located in the tank pumping through the system and back to the tank will have negligable losses in performance (Syphon effect cancels head height) :) so a maxijet 1200 would work perfect for this.

czcz, I can't really follow what you are saying.. add a valve where? (the nipple isn't there, I'ld have to build one in (eg. drill), so putting it at the inlet via T fitting stops the possibility of a leak and makes it easier for me.)

yes.. your filter will have no head loss.. but the maxijet is a submersed pump (needs water to cool it) , if used its best placement would be to feed the syphon tube in the tank, I would think.. Or get a pump thats rated to be used externaly or submersed..

Ozz -- meant a valve right before the injection point, but it sounds like you have that covered with your T (and a valve?). Parallel chambers + ball valves sounds like an excellent solution.

The Co2 will be a milwaukee all in one with solenoid controlled by PH Controller.. I assume the only reason to put a valve there would be to service the Co2 between the solenoid and filters.. I will add one there as sevicability is something I'm trying to keep in mind.

GreenMaji. According to the package and instructions, the maxijet is internal/external. tho I'll probably be putting it in the tank anyway.

The reason for the valve was I misinterpreted last page's separating CO2 as meaning no longer integrated into the filter (say, with a separate, traditional powered reactor), and the valve would allow you to AB that method with integrated diffusion. I get it now. :)

I'm hoping for the parts to get here Friday, there was a mixup in the order and they didn't bother to ship, I've figured out a couple of the problems I was having, also found some stuff that will work great, it's called "home Depot Irrigation Dept." :) they have every fitting you could every really need, all PVC and < 1$ each.

filter.jpg

There is a part that I was struggling to find, a 1/2" T with 1/2",1/2",1/8" and I found one, it's for drip irrigation. No drilling at all.

Also, I can get micron filtration to 50 microns easily (provided it doesn't become high pressure), that should remove a good chunk of garbage, now to get the surface area for it up. (the real trick).. as 4" diameter would clog quickly.

Wanting it to get here, I want to try some of this out, fortunately each reactor comes with a ball valve, so I'm in luck in that respect. now it's playing with physics and finding out what they didn't teach you in school about fluid dynamics.

I've posted in the FW forum, but figured I would post here aswell (gotta mess up my clock to work nights somehow)..

Here is a link to show how I put it all together.. I still haven't added the biological filtration (fluidized bed), keep forgetting to get some sand..

What kind of GPH does this puppy flow? you end up with the 150 or the 300?

You'd probably be fine even without the FB filter; I'm sure it's more filtration then you'll need as it is.

I'm pretty sure it's more then I need right now since the tank has been running for 2 weeks with only a fluval 304 (not quite rated for my tank).. the Matrix is also Biological media. I'm very sure you're right. but I would like to try it out since I have the parts, even to say "yes, it works".. but I will probably turn it off beyond that, I'm really not sure, I could technically speaking make this my only filter and it would handle the load very easily. Way over built. But it's the concept that you can huge filtration out of 125$ worth of parts, instead of buying 400$ worth of filter..

The Flow rate is 295GPH out of the powerhead. I don't have teh equipment to measure what the output is, but I think it's around 200GPH minimum..

All pipes are 1/2" aswell as hosing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom