DIY Light Mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I decided that I needed a project today and since I'm thinking about slowly adding some riparium elements to my 65g planted tank, I thought that I would make a DIY mount for my light so that I could raise and lower it depending on how high out of the tank the plants would eventually grow. After some time spent googling, I hadn't come up with a whole lot (maybe I just missed it), so I measured the dimensions of the tank, the light and everything else and made my way to good ole Home Depot. After wandering around with no particular plan, I called my dad and we talked it over and eventually, we decided on a course of action.

I bought 2 1"x36" aluminum strips and 2 3/4"x36" aluminum "L" strips, two 8" lengths of chain, 2 hook screws, 4 4-40 1/2" round head bolts with nuts a metal file, and a hacksaw.

39633-albums2748-picture35183.jpg

My tank is 36" long, but divided in half by a plastic strip, so I measured the length of each half and cut the "L" strips to fit. Then, I bent the flat strips by hand into the arch shapes you see above. Then, to attach them all together, I drilled 2 holes about 2 1/2" in on one side of each "L" strip and 2 holes at the base of each end of the flat strips. Using the nuts and bolts, I screwed them together forming something like this:

39633-albums2748-picture35185.jpg

It looks rather flimsy, and it is light, because of the aluminum, but once the bolts were tightened in, it actually is quite solid. Then, having assembled both of these, I had to go about hanging my light from the pieces. I drilled a hole in the top of each arch and screwed in one of the hook screws:

39633-albums2748-picture35186.jpg

Then, after much deliberation and anxiety, I decided to carefully do the same to the casing of the light itself. I gently drilled a hole and screwed the one hook onto each end of the light casing, again, about 2 1/2" from each end. Then, it was just a matter of deciding how high above the water I wanted it and adjusting the links in the chain to match. The result:
39633-albums2748-picture35187.jpg

39633-albums2748-picture35188.jpg

I'm not the handiest guy in the world and I can't tell you how gratifying it was to finish this and see that (for the time being at least) it worked! It's not the most attractive thing in the world, but it works and it does have a certain industrial aesthetic to it that I don't mind. I think all told, it came to about $30 and an afternoon's work, so not too bad.

Nice. Are you using self tapping hooks? If so, you might want to consider ones with nuts. I don't trust those in this application.

I considered that, too. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and change them out if I see any hint of slippage. Thanks for the tip.

Nice. Are you using self tapping hooks? If so, you might want to consider ones with nuts. I don't trust those in this application.

Thanks again for the tip, I checked this morning and sure enough, the screws had slipped a couple millimeters down, so I took it down and replaced it with eye bolts and s-hooks. It's totally secure now.

Everybody else, thanks for the compliments!

looks great; I know if I tried it, the whole thing would splash into my tank and probably short circuit my house haha

looks great; I know if I tried it, the whole thing would splash into my tank and probably short circuit my house haha

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. It's better than it was when it was just sitting on top of the tank's rim, though.

WBAC88 said:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. It's better than it was when it was just sitting on top of the tank's rim, though.

consider me inspired! if you have any spare time, could you pm me how you did it? in a little more detail than what you've written here? if not, it's totally ok :)

I considered that, too. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and change them out if I see any hint of slippage. Thanks for the tip.

Try using Loctite Threadlocker on the Threads.

It is in the automotive section of like a Wal mart or you can find it a HD or Autozone. It is design to stop screw heads from moving. Also for lug nuts which has to be 10x the vibration your set up would have due to swinging.

themox said:
consider me inspired! if you have any spare time, could you pm me how you did it? in a little more detail than what you've written here? if not, it's totally ok :)

Definitely, I'll do it tomorrow.

Pton46 said:
Try using Loctite Threadlocker on the Threads.

It is in the automotive section of like a Wal mart or you can find it a HD or Autozone. It is design to stop screw heads from moving. Also for lug nuts which has to be 10x the vibration your set up would have due to swinging.

That sounds like it would've worked, too. As I posted above, I replaced them with a eye bolt today, just to make sure they didn't budge. That's a good idea, though.

Thanks again for the tip, I checked this morning and sure enough, the screws had slipped a couple millimeters down, so I took it down and replaced it with eye bolts and s-hooks. It's totally secure now.

Good.(y) That change might outlast us all!

Back
Top Bottom