DIY Live Rock! Need Answers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I made some DIY live rock around July 4th weekend. I mixed Portland cement with salt crystals and no crush oyster shells or anything (don't like the look). I do water changes everyday in a 30 gallon container. It's been about 3-4weeks now and I'm not sure if my rocks are ready or not. I don't have a ph test kit soo..yeah. Any advice?

Fresh for now. Ill seed them once they're ready

i have seen it take up to 90 days for rocks , did you do just rocks or rocks and back ground if both could take longer:( , best i have found get ph test for this u can use cheap stripes from ebay or any pet store , any of stores on this site. test your tap water in a cup then before u do water change test that water once the two show the same you will be safe to add the rock to your tank.:fish2: p.s. let rocks be in the water 24 - 48 hr. before testing , the rocks will also cure faster by having the water movement , powerheads airstones anything to keep the water moving.:lol:

bigfishlittletank said:
i have seen it take up to 90 days for rocks , did you do just rocks or rocks and back ground if both could take longer:( , best i have found get ph test for this u can use cheap stripes from ebay or any pet store , any of stores on this site. test your tap water in a cup then before u do water change test that water once the two show the same you will be safe to add the rock to your tank.:fish2: p.s. let rocks be in the water 24 - 48 hr. before testing , the rocks will also cure faster by having the water movement , powerheads airstones anything to keep the water moving.:lol:

Thanks for the advice!! I've been waiting for some feedback on this thread. I'll probably get a pH test kit the next time I go to the lfs. I think the rocks should be ready since I do wc every day for the past month but I won't know for sure until I check.

Back
Top Bottom