DIY Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that kind of growth with the api tabs but i made 70 just dynamite tabs and 70 just osmocote. So when i put them in tomorrow ill see the difference cause im gonna split the tank in two and compare growth

Which type of dynamite and osmocote did you use for the tabs?

You will most likely see more growth with the red dynamite. The red dynamite has an abundance of micro nutrients in it as well where the osmocote doesn't. That is the reason why I mixed the osmocote with miracle grow.

So yesterday did my PWC and decided to start dosing excel again.

My nitrates were high this week so I guess I either have an organic build up in my filters or in my substrate. Ammonia tested zero so no spike from the tabs.

I also bought some leaf zone to add macros to the water column.

I'll test mid week. Noticing some new growth from the dwarf sag. Anubias both grew a new leaf apiece but they've been doing great in my tank since I got them.

The Brazilian pennywort is struggling and the cork Val's are stagnant.

Has anybody lost any fish using these tabs? I am worried about my angel fish.

They do have the potential to cause an ammonia spike so need to be placed on the very bottom of the substrate. BUT I have something like 25 of them in my 55g tank and have absolutely no problems as well as 5 or so in my 10g tank without any issues either.

Any of those dry ferts, PPS pro or EI package. The only difference is that they are mixed with water and dozed daily in the water column. Do you know if those could cause an ammonia spike?

Alot of those dry ferts contain specific elements. What you should be looking for is KNO3 which is Potassium Nitrate and will specifically raise the nitrate level in your tank. Other than that there's no ammonia in any of their ferts.

The Diy root tabs use time release fertilizers which aren't made to be used in the aquarium so they contain ammonia instead of nitrate. Plants will tend to absorb ammonia before nitrate so it is consumed fairly rapidly.

Alot of those dry ferts contain specific elements. What you should be looking for is KNO3 which is Potassium Nitrate and will specifically raise the nitrate level in your tank. Other than that there's no ammonia in any of their ferts.

The Diy root tabs use time release fertilizers which aren't made to be used in the aquarium so they contain ammonia instead of nitrate. Plants will tend to absorb ammonia before nitrate so it is consumed fairly rapidly.

And is ammo absorption good or better than nitrate?

From my understanding plants have an easier time breaking down ammonia than nitrate but therein lies a problem that ammonia is toxic in useful concentrations.

Back
Top Bottom