diy sump cost me nada thing lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok heres wat i did

list of equipment

• garden hose
  • 2 pond pumps one a bit smaller (smaller goes into top tank)
  • 5 gal tank or bigger your choice
how i did it
fisrt i put the small pump into main tank ( just below water line so if power goes out it loses its suction without overflowing tank) put the bigger pump at bottom of 5 gal tank. put hoses on and into tanks and turned on. lol sounds way to simple but it works i was amazed not expensive equipment!! and it wont flood your sump because it will only take out of the main tank wat your putting in from the sump tank becuase its at the water line. anyone have any reason to tell me why this is a stupid idea? I will accept any comments i would actually appriciate them b4 i addapt this to my main tank i tried it with my old 29 gal that was empty.

It is generally NOT a good idea to rely on a 2 pump setup like yours. People usu. have problems balancing the flows of the pump <and even if you get them balanced at one point, it gets unbalanced a few days down the road with a bit of dirt or whatever.>

You are also risking floods ..... If any of the pump quits, you can flood either the sump or the main tank. Although you can have both pumps at the water lines (in the sump as well as the tank) to prevent flooding, your waterline will change with evaporation and you risk the pumps sucking air. And if one pump die, the other pump will be running on empty, which will kill that pump.

yea that little set up already was torn down ziggy told me the same thing even though i really cant afford it right now im gona go ahead and get a overflow. thanks for your oppinion

Back
Top Bottom