Do fish loose their scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's ok if the kit doesn't detect the change from the ammonia blocker. Just take a reading, if the ammonia level has gone up, do a big water change and then use whatever ammonia binder you have handy. Next time you test, you will expect the ammonia level to be half of what it was, and just trust that the amount the bottle says it neutralizes is neturalized.

That is so frustraiting - I would rather have a true reading. I was doing it that way, but even after water changes my Ammo readings were something like 4.0 I quit using the Ammo neutralizer and saw a 3 point drop within 3 days.

I guess I could do it that way, its just frustraiting that there isn't a better method for detecting true Ammonia amounts....

That's very odd.

Many cities add ammonia to the water in the form of chloramine. This can cause a spike in ammonia levels right after a water change.

I have not heard of ammonia neutralizers raising the ammonia test, only the test didn't show any drop in ammonia when the neturalizer is really detoxifying some of it.

I've heard that the Ammona Alert reads only free ammonia instead of total, and indicates how well ammonia detoxifiers are working. I picked one up after my last QT problem, and havn't had an ammonia spike yet to test it on.

question related to this

So I asked the question "do fish shed their scales" on google because I noticed something in my nan's fish tank that looks a bid like the shedding you get from snakes but we don't have snakes and it's thinner etc none of the fish are injured etc so I wanted to know what it was, does anyone have any ideas??

also to LydiaGreen loving the "fish are friends not food" quote by bruce, thought I'd let you know that bruce and that quote are from finding nemo... I only remember because I remember dory repeating it, but like I said loving the quote.

Back
Top Bottom