Do I have everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrestonTX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Before I make my purchase I just want to make sure I have it all right. So please give me advice good or bad on the product i choose. This is my first salt tank and I do not want any limitations.

Tank - 75 gal 48x18x20 RR
Stand - comes with tank
lights - Wavepoint 48" T5 HO Fixture
skimmer - reef octopus extreme 180 ext
heater - 2 via aqua titanium 150w
return pump - Marineland Utility 4500
Sump - Aqueon Proflex Refugium model 2
Flow - 2 Vortech MP40W-ES
Refugium light - CPR small 13" light

Thank you so much for your time and I will use this board often thanks to the app.

Sounds good to me. How many bulbs is your wavepoint fixture? Do you plan on having corals in this tank? Also, i'm not sure if you have everything else besides the things you listed, but do you have test kits and a refractometer?

Yes, I plan on coral down the road. It is a 4 bulb light system. I have been looking at the 8 bulb system would that be better? As in not limit my options in the future?

As for the other items, yes. I have liquid test kits not strips, refractometer, salt, rock, sand, nets, siphons, buckets, towels the whole nine yards. Thanks for your input and time.

yep. the 8 lamp system will definitely be better. the 4 lamp is going to limit you.
i don't know about the quality of the wavepoint fixtures however.
i like sunlight supply, or aquactinics, or even current.

Quality is good too, but those fixtures mr. X mentioned are big $$, especially 8 bulb fixtures, which would pretty much allow you to have much of whatever corals you wanted, but the high-light SPS would most likely still need to be placed higher up in the tank. I know a few people with Wavepoint fixtures and they love them, but i agree, they certainly aren't the best you could do. ATI makes amazing fixtures, but they are also a ridiculous amount of money. Plus, their reflectors are A+ quality. Tek also makes great fixtures. But overall, if you want a light that will allow you to keep most coral, go with an 8bulb fixture. Maybe even a Metal Halide / T5HO combination fixture.

but the high-light SPS would most likely still need to be placed higher up in the tank.
i know guys, including myself, that use T-5 lighting and can keep whatever they want, wherever they want.
i had an 8 lamp fixture which i compared to a 250 watt halide. the par meter showed the 8 lamp fixture with individual reflectors put out 1/3 more PAR than a 250 watt halide at 24" under water.
i also know a guy that uses a 6' aquactinics fixture which is 14 lamps (7 per 3 feet) and has a 30" deep tank. he also keeps whatever he wants, wherever he wants.

Back
Top Bottom