Do I have Live Rock or Base Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought LR (so they called it) from the store to put in a tank. I have an old tank with only base rock no LR added. They look exactly the same covered with pink and bright green algae. (Took 6 mo for the base rock to turn pink from calcium)

Are they both live rock, or both base rock. I don't see critters or dusters in either tank. What determines when they become true live rock? If not live, what can I do to make them LR. Thank you.

they are not really alive exactly. The rock just has surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on. When you buy live rock it already has beneficial bacteria growing on it and hopefully desirable Coraline coverage. If your base rock has been in your tank for 6 months and it has pink algae it is most likely now live rock from the bacteria that has grown in your tank over the past 6 months. You wont see critters on your liverock normally unless you add critters that like to snack on the algae on the rocks

Back
Top Bottom