Do I have neon tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my cardinals has this black area on one side. He seems to be fine otherwise, and hasn't lost any color. However he isn't sticking around the other cardinals very much... Hopefully someone can tell me by looking at this picture I took. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2160963328.jpg
    image-2160963328.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 99
It very well could be since the spores become visible as whitish/grayish patches and cause a loss of skin color.

I don't see anything on my other cardinals, should I think about euthanizing the one...? Or wait it out?

I don't see anything on my other cardinals, should I think about euthanizing the one...? Or wait it out?

I'd personally wait until you see more symptoms, the other fish have already been exposed at this point so need to euthanize anyone yet. Keep the water clean and hope we are both wrong!

I'd personally wait until you see more symptoms, the other fish have already been exposed at this point so need to euthanize anyone yet. Keep the water clean and hope we are both wrong!

That's what I was thinking, thank you! Now I'm noticing some whiteness around its mouth...

I had one Tetra who was really bad loss of colour and looked like it was falling apart for a want for a better phrase, a couple of the other neons have white marks on the bottoms of the tails, the really ill one has now gone but I fear some of the others will go the same way, is there any treatment I can do or should I get rid of the fish if they get worse?

From what i can tell no you don't. Neon tetra disease is a very devestating parasite that infects tetras and guppies. It presents itself as a tan area under the skin usually near the back of the fish or the cadual pendacule (the part that holds the tail). From what i can see this is not it. The name for it is Tetrahyema but your fishy looks fine to me.

The spot has now turned white and it's spreading across that whole side of its body. I tried getting a decent picture but they're so afraid of me, they hardly ever come out from behind the tank...

Darn :(. I read somewhere that dwarf cichlids have been seen contracting this disease, I don't want my bolivian to get it...although I'm guessing its fairly uncommon...?

I wouldn't be concerned with that to be honest, new world cichlids are prone to other flagellated protozoa such as hexamita(spironucleus) but not Pleistophora hyphessobryconis.

Ive had this disease before. The best thing to do is put them in a freezer and slowly go to sleep if they start all comnig down with this tan stripe on their back. They you must steralize everything in bleach and get rid of the substrate. It is a parasite that numbers in the millions and lives in the gravel. Very deadly. No cure, ive lost my fair share of guppies to it years ago when i was first starting out. Its important to thourghly rinse sand or gravel in hot water before using it in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom