Do I need a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashenwelt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my wife asked me an odd question. She asked, do we really need a heater? Honestly, I said yes, but I would like to know your thoughts.

Now what she wants is a her feeder goldfish in the tank, with some tetras and danios. Now room temp in my home varies 72-77 degrees Fahrenheit (22-25 C.). This is 9 months of the year.

Tank is a 45G and is planted. Currently doing a fish in cycle with the two goldfish and some of their old bowl water, and seachem stability.

Now the heater I bought is a preset tetra for 78 degrees which is a bit warm for the goldfish, though I guess I could exchange it. But, would you all use a heater on a daily basis? Thoughts or ideas?

Yes, I know goldfish are not a norm for a community... and yes, they will be a long term problem if they are lucky. So please don't focus on that.

Your tank is usually a degree or two higher than room temp due to lighting and equipment. If you're from 72-77 all year round, I don't see why you'd need a heater. If you're comfortable that there will not be a rapid drop in temperature at any time, I'd skip it. The goldfish will definitely prefer the lower end of your temperature range. The tetras and Danios would be just fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom