Do I need a protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaylam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Guys,

My tank will be arriving soon which I plan to make a saltwater tank now some people have told me that I MUST have a protein skimmer and some people have said not.

Can anyone advise?

Jay

Yes, we can, but first we need to know more about your tank. Size, filtration and amount of LR or what ever esle you can tell us.

Yes, we can, but first we need to know more about your tank. Size, filtration and amount of LR or what ever esle you can tell us.

Thanks, ok its a 4ft tank, I have 1 external Ehiem Professional 3 fileter and one internal filter that comes with the tank which I plan on using just for water flow.

What skimmer would you recommend and how do they connect to the setup?

I'm thinking that your tank is at least a 55g. Before I say you need a skimmer, what do you want to keep in lit...fish, fish with LR (FWLR), or reef? If reef what kind of lights do you have? Also do you have a sump?

I'm thinking that your tank is at least a 55g. Before I say you need a skimmer, what do you want to keep in lit...fish, fish with LR (FWLR), or reef? If reef what kind of lights do you have? Also do you have a sump?

Ok to start im just going to have fish and some live rock at a later date I want to add some corel etc but not for some time.

Lighting im not sure to be honest they lights are coming with the tank.

I assume LR means live rock but im sorry I dont know what FWLR means.

Thanks for your patience im new to saltwater and obviously want to make sure everything is in place before I put fish in and risk harming them.

You dont have to have a protien skimmer. I recommend one as they are good for removing DOC`s from your tank. I know several folks that dont have one but the make it up in extra PWC`s.

Also moving this to the General hardware and equipment discussion forum.

You dont have to have a protien skimmer. I recommend one as they are good for removing DOC`s from your tank. I know several folks that dont have one but the make it up in extra PWC`s.

Also moving this to the General hardware and equipment discussion forum.
Ok cool thanks I will add that to the list of things I need, do you recommend any. I would like external not hang on and also how does it connect, are the external filter pipes split and this joined in between that or will it have 2 seperate tubes going to the tank.

If you want an external, non HOB, you'll have to run it in a sump and do some plumbing. If you go to the DIY forum, you can look at a lot of threads on the subject of DIY sumps/refugiums.

If you don't want to mess with plumbing it and gettings a sump together, the AquaC remoras are nice HOB skimmers... You would just the regular (I think it skims up to 75 gallons). I got mine through craigslist in pristine condition for $80 rather than spending the $225 online but I had to wait for 3-4 weeks for it to come up (I got the Pro version, regular is ~160ish I think).

As mentioned above you`ll need a sump if not a HOB. As far as brand name I believe Octopus brand is the best from what I`ve heard.

As mentioned above you`ll need a sump if not a HOB. As far as brand name I believe Octopus brand is the best from what I`ve heard.
Damm, I was hoping to find an external one that does not need a sump so I can save some space, looks like HOB is the way forward.

I have been looking at the Deltec MCE300 which looks pretty good, just reading up on the Octopus ones now.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom