Do I need CO2 System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I have a 15gal freshwater tank (LIFE-GLO Lighting) with real plants. I have been adding the recommended dosage of Nutrafin Plant Gro solution but my plants don't seem to be overly happy(a few brown spots on the leaves).

Do I need some sort of CO2 system. If so, any recommendations?

I've been looking at:
-"Hagen Plant-Gro CO2 Nat System Activator-Stabilizer"
-"Fluval Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit" -> Will 12g unthreaded co2 canisters from HERE work as they are MUCH cheaper?

Any help would me greatly appreciated!

Cheers
:thanks:

brown spots might mean burning
the light might be too close

certain plants dont need Co2 and a good light is fine
such as anacharis (common river plant) and ferns

other plants, the pretty leafy ones and little grasses most people choose really dont do well without CO2. I am just adding a C02 system myself.

since you have a 15G, you dont need any paintball tanks so make your own like the other person suggested, but I have a prebuilt canister called hagen, you can find it on amazon for like 20$.
also, look into moss. they are pretty and easy kept, usually.

Reactions: gre
Thank you for the replies! For lighting I am using a Life-Glo light which is supposed to be quite good(apparently) for growing plants. I am beginning to think the brown spots may also be due to an iron deficiency. My local aquarium shop recommended an iron supplement to try in my tank. I hope it helps! Thanks again for all of your advice.

gre said:
Thank you for the replies! For lighting I am using a Life-Glo light which is supposed to be quite good(apparently) for growing plants. I am beginning to think the brown spots may also be due to an iron deficiency. My local aquarium shop recommended an iron supplement to try in my tank. I hope it helps! Thanks again for all of your advice.

Life glo is a specific spectrum bulb sold by hagen. We need to know what type it is. If you can tell us that, or the wattage AND length, we can tell you more.

Life glo is a specific spectrum bulb sold by hagen. We need to know what type it is. If you can tell us that, or the wattage AND length, we can tell you more.

The Life-Glo bulb I have for my 15gal tank is 15 Watts, 18"(46cm) long, 1"(2.5cm) diameter and is 6700K. It also says T-8 on the box however I am not sure exactly what that means.

T8 is the fixture type, that's important to know. The T designation has to do with the width of the tube itself. Each different designation needs it's own particular type of fixture to operate. Wattage on fluorescent tubes is generally dependent on tube length and tube type, so most t8's (in that length) are around the same wattage, same goes for other fixtures (t5, t12, etc)

T8's are o.k. for planted tanks, but definitely can be upgraded. I put most t8 setups in the low/very low light range, so co2 would be purely optional, you may not see a significant difference if you go with co2 injection with that particular light setup.

What type of bulb should I be upgrading to? If there is something that will really get my plants growing and will not harm my fish I'm all for it.

I have seen these at my local pet shop:
-Aqua-GLO T8 Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 15 W, 46 cm x 2.5 cm (15 in x 1 in), 18000K
-Power-GLO T8 Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 15 W, 46 cm x 2.5 cm (18 in x 1 in), 18000K

Would one of these be more desirable?

I was kinda hoping not to get a new hood for my tank. Would there be a huge difference between a T5/T5 High Output and the T8 bulbs I have listed above?

Just Purchased a fixture that has two 24" T5HO bulbs. I am assuming this will be more than sufficient for my 15gal tank?

Yes, now I have a decent CO2 system in place, literate mixed in my gravel and also some liquid plant fert/nutrients. I will also be limiting the exposure to a few hours a day and possibly working my way up provided plants are doing ok. (I got the fixture for a really good deal I couldn't pass up.)

If it becomes a problem I may just re-wire it (if the bulbs are hooked up in series) to only run one bulb (Electrical Engineering Student :) ).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom