Do I need "official" aquarium lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I inadvertently became the mother of a betta, and am cycling a 10-gallon tank for him. In the meantime, he's inhabiting my punchbowl. Since September it's been just room lighting, and he seems perfectly happy (so do the plants) but I am wondering if I should mount a light on the aquarium. Thanks for any advice!:fish2:

First off, welcome to AA! Glad you found us.
No, not necessarily. A simple desk lamp should work. Or a light that clamps onto the rim of the tank. Of course, the size and style of the bulb will dictate light coverage and intensity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you!

I have just the perfect desk lamp. Right now for me, it's DIY. Who knew a free, tiny fish would need so much stuff? (But I love him.) :thanks:

If you are not keeping plants then you can use any light you want...

I have those cheap clip on lamps(looks like heat lamps for reptiles) from Walmart and a $3 CFL bulb on one of my tanks.

There's tons of DIY if you dig deep enough ;)

Caleb

Get an led bulb and it will last longer than your fish and use very little electric. I actually prefer the light they give off the cfls. Just personal preferances there. I like bright bulbs. You really have many options here. Go to Target and check the clearance section. Lol (just joking, clearance is the first aisle I hit at Target)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom