Do I need speciic substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought one of those cheap top fin plants that comes in a plastic tube at petsmart and I was wondering if I stick it in regular aquarium gravel if they will grow and do I remove it during water changes?

Regular gravel should be fine, though you might want to add a root tab to help it out. Once planted its best not to move it.

ThomasG07 said:
So I bought one of those cheap top fin plants that comes in a plastic tube at petsmart and I was wondering if I stick it in regular aquarium gravel if they will grow and do I remove it during water changes?

I have lots of those plants. I just stick them in my gravel or coming out of deco. I vacuum around them when doing water changes, they only get moved if I decide to re-arrange the tank. Do you know what type of plant? How big is your aquarium? I'm finding the swords, annubias & java fern are growing the easiest & best. Is it the only plant you have? You may also want to get some fertilizer like API Leaf Zone, mine seemed to do even better when I added that.

also you may want to do a little research on the plant alot of those plants I'm the tubes are not fully aquatic plants some are meant for terrariums best to check google just to make sure

shellieca said:
I have lots of those plants. I just stick them in my gravel or coming out of deco. I vacuum around them when doing water changes, they only get moved if I decide to re-arrange the tank. Do you know what type of plant? How big is your aquarium? I'm finding the swords, annubias & java fern are growing the easiest & best. Is it the only plant you have? You may also want to get some fertilizer like API Leaf Zone, mine seemed to do even better when I added that.

Yes this is my first and only plant I have in my ten gallon and it's an Anubias congenis

If its an anubia you want to make sure the rhizome isn't burried. I would suggest tying it to rocks or drift wood as one of the few ways to go wrong with anubia is to bury the rhizome

M1k3y_gumi said:
If its an anubia you want to make sure the rhizome isn't burried. I would suggest tying it to rocks or drift wood as one of the few ways to go wrong with anubia is to bury the rhizome

Do I need any root tabs with Anubias since its wont be in the gravel?

I just put the Anubias down in the hole of my drift wood so hopefully this will be sufficient enough

Attachments

• image-787960658.jpg
    image-787960658.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom