Do I need to cool water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now there is hot weather where i live and sometimes my tank temp goes to around 84 farheinheit. i keep it at 79 farheinheit normally. I keep Neon Tetras. Do i need to cool it?

Do you have any other fish? What size tank? Neons should be fine at 84.

It's okay at 84 degrees. If it gets any higher I would start worrying about it. My tanks recently hit 90 degrees during our last heat wave so I had to freeze 2 liter bottles of water to cool down my 55g tanks. The temperature doesn't drop too fast so I wouldn't worry about shocking the fish with temp changes as long as the bottles match the tank size. 2 liter for 55g, 1 liter for 29g, and 20oz for everything smaller is what I'd recommend.

I'm worried about the fluctuating temp because of the heat.

If you keep an eye on it you'll notice that the tank temperature changes very slowly compared to the room temperature. Other things you can do involve removing the lid and increasing surface agitation.

Use a .5 litter soda bottle filled halfway, freeze, and add until you reach at least 76 degrees

I would like to note that it's a very good idea to keep your heater on just in case the temp drops too low. Also, I would probably only do half full 20oz bottles. You don't want to drop the temp too fast.

Do i just put the bottle in tank water.

So around powerade bottle size. Should i remove labels?

Yep, remove the label, clean it with very very hot water, fill it half way, and then freeze it without a lid on.

Back
Top Bottom