Do I need to reinforce the stand and floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteclouds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a few questions about setting up a 150g tank. Would a metal tank stand without the middle bar(s) be safe for a big tank? If not, what's the simplest way to reinforce the stand so it won't wobble?

The tank will be placed on a ceramic floor which may not be level, would a carpet underneath the tank be a good idea? How about the floor structure? If someone in the basement hitting/kicking the punch bag, the floor or area where the tank is going to seat will shake. How to check for safety and how to reinforce it? Please advise! Thank you.

I want to make sure it won't wobble, not saying it does now, still waiting for some manpower to put it up. :lol::brows:
I do have reasons to worry. I have both metal and wooded stands right now, the wooded stand holds up very well but the metal stand, hmm... how to describe it, when you walk past the tanks fast or when the neighbor slams the door, the fish feels it, so do we.
Second reason has to be the ceramic floor, ceramic floor is never perfect. It always has little leveling problem, right?
So, I'm screaming for help to setup this tank the right way or it will become a disaster. Anyone else please?

I bought the tank and stand together but it really doesn't mean anything.
Thank you.

We would need to see pictures of the specific stand in question to be able to comment on how it might be reinforced. From the way it sounds, I would be careful about putting a large tank in the location. It will most likely weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 to 1500 lbs when it is full and setup, and wobble/non level surfaces would be causes for alarm. Large tanks need to be as close to level as possible. Small imperfections in leveling can cause uneven stresses on the glass, and could lead to failure.

The chances of this mode of failure may be small, but the damage would be catastrophic, with 150 gal of water spilling onto the floor.

If there is any doubt, I don't think I would allow strangers on the internet to assuage the fear. I would either put the tank in the basement, on the slab, or have a structural engineer verify that the construction in your home is appropriate to carry the weight of your tank over the area it will inhabit.

I use to lay flooring and from my experience if you have this on a four legged stand you run the risk of cracking tiles. This tank will be roughly 1200-1500 lbs which means close to 400lbs will be resting on each foot which I'm guessing isn't much more then a couple square inches now if it isn't in full contact with all four legs (which from laying tile I know for a fact getting it perfectly level is a pain and next to impossible) your adding the legs portion of the weight to the rest. This could mean only 2 legs are in full contact on opposite corners. If anything I would get a piece of slate or plywood to use as a base for the tank.

from a personal standpoint I wouldn't use a metal stand for a tank that big. The weight on the legs is immense. A wooden cabinet stand would be my choice. With a wooden stand the weight is dispersed out more evenly over a much larger area. Metal stands are built for all size tanks, but I personally would trust one to hold that much weight. Just my 2c worth.;)

Thanks guy. I can't post a picture until I locate the cable. ITMT, my stand looks like this one without the wooded piece betw the tank and stand.

Can I use 1 or 2 of those felt pads for the leg to level the stand?

Back
Top Bottom