Do my plants need anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennybo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 12g Nano Tank with black flourite as a substrate and have 4 plants in my tank. The plants that I have are 2 Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, 1 water sprite and 1 undulata. I run 2 10,000K Compact Flourescents for about 8 hours a day, sometimes longer.
My water tested at
NO3 @ 50
NO2 @ 0
KH @ 50
PH @ 7.0
AMMON @ 0
Some of my chain sword seems to be turning brown and blades of the grass are dying. But it is growing shoots with baby plants on the ends. Also my water sprite has a lot of browned leaves but is also sending out some great new shoots. Is there something I should be feeding my plants to help them to grow? I am very new at the plant thing.

Attachments

• Chain Sword.jpg
    Chain Sword.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Undulata.jpg
    Undulata.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Water Sprite.jpg
    Water Sprite.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 51
  • All.jpg
    All.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 53
Do you know how many watts your bulbs are? I'm just curious as usually browning is a sign of not enough light.

If its not the light, it could be a lack of potassium. If you want to try dosing some potassium, Seachem is a brand and makes a liquid potassium supplement.

The brown isn't algae is it? If it was, it would wipe off the leaf.

That undulata looks great! Very nice looking tank.

My bulbs are 24 watt 13 inch 10,000K Coralife for saltwater and freshwater.

I was keeping the light on for about 10-12 hours a day and had a very bad algae episode! I cut down on the light time to about 8 hours a day. The plants seem to be growing pretty good it is just a lot of the blades of grass are turning brown like they are rotting. I try to pluck them off so they don't contaminate the water, but now the sprite seems to be doing the same thing with some of the leaves. My placo does wonders with keeping the algae gone. I just think there may be some vitamins or something for the plants to help them grow or green up a bit.

If I add this potassium, would that effect any levels in the tank of the ph or kh or the NO's?

I will pick some up this weekend and give it a try! I know, just don't overdue it!
Thanks again!

(y)

Back
Top Bottom