Do ottos need driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had ottos in the past and they did fine without driftwood. But I was thinking about this yesterday so I thought I'd ask the experts. Do ottos need driftwood to supplement their diets? I may have answered my own question here;)

I have had ottos in the past and they did fine without driftwood. But I was thinking about this yesterday so I thought I'd ask the experts. Do ottos need driftwood to supplement their diets? I may have answered my own question here;)
Nah, Otos are pretty good when it comes to supplements, so a small amount of algae will be all they need. When it comes, to Otocinclus's, I am more worried about them surviving then food supplements... lol.

Ok that's what I thought, thanks for confirming for me. I've been lucky so far, all happy healthy ottos. Must have gotten them when healthy batches came in:)

I'd have to say the opposite..about the supplements that is. Oto's are one of those wild caught cats that can be tricky to feed. Not all will accept supplements. Wood is always a good idea. Anything you can do to replicate their natural environment is always best for wild caught fish IMO. But it isn't absolutely crucial for them.

siva said:
I'd have to say the opposite..about the supplements that is. Oto's are one of those wild caught cats that can be tricky to feed. Not all will accept supplements. Wood is always a good idea. Anything you can do to replicate their natural environment is always best for wild caught fish IMO. But it isn't absolutely crucial for them.

Yeah, it's always a good idea to supplement them, but IME with Otos, they survived quite a while on your everyday algae. It isn't crucial to their health, and I personally say that it isn't needed.

I have Dwiftwood and Manzanita and Cholla Wood in my Otos tank. They love cleaning the wood !!! Plus the Dwiftwood also helps lower PH. Wood grows biofilm well. Cholla esp. seems very attractive to mine. Indian Almond Leaf is another thing that they like.

I dont think they HAVE to have it, but mine seem to like it.

View attachment 89428

image-1591733129.jpg

Attachments

• image-1256876898.jpg
    image-1256876898.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92
I have Dwiftwood and Manzanita and Cholla Wood in my Otos tank. They love cleaning the wood !!! Plus the Dwiftwood also helps lower PH. Wood grows biofilm well. Cholla esp. seems very attractive to mine. Indian Almond Leaf is another thing that they like.

I dont think they HAVE to have it, but mine seem to like it.

View attachment 89428

View attachment 89430
Not bad looking! I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some. I should get some in the near future...

Back
Top Bottom