Do the big featherdusters reproduce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is probably a stupid question but will the large (like 5 inch) featherdusters multiply if you have a couple of them in the tank? Or is it something where they will but the larvae or planktonic stage will die in the filtration? (I have no idea)

That's an intersting question.
Sorry I can't answer it though.
Got up this morning & one of mine had discarded it's head.I know they can grow them back though.

Yea mine discarded it's crown a couple weeks ago cause of a change in the salinity from a pwc. It has regrown though and now it looks better and looks like it has 2 mouths.

How do they reproduce?

I think they repoduce by releasing "spores", from my reading, but I could be wrong.

Cool spores. So I guess they reproduce but then their spores or larvae are just killed in the filtration? I dunno. I'm gonna go buy 2 more cause they are awesome and maybe that will help after awhile.

Has anyone with these large featherdusters had them just apear and grow to the size of the adult ones?

Most polychaetes reproduce like corals do; they release gametes into the water, the larvae have a planktonic stage and then settle out as juveniles. I think most are hermaphrodites but usually not simultaneous ones, ie they need another feather duster nearby to produce offspring but each worm can be male or female. It's probably not likely this would happen in a tank with a filter. I have 2 large feather dusters and many small ones that came with my live rock. The small ones seem to be getting more common but they may just be moving around and that's why I seem to be getting "new" ones. I'm not sure how big the little ones will get but some are definitely growing. There are zillions of species of marine polychaetes and they cover a huge range of sizes.

the feathers are the worm's gills, btw.

gametes
That's it, I couldn't remember. Thanks newfound!

Back
Top Bottom