Do urchins lose all their spines before they die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ordered 4 urchins off LA and 3 came in PERFECT condition. 1 came in brown water and lost about 1/4 of his spines. Hes not moving but I'm acclimating because ik they can be very stressed and not move. Is there a chance my sick/stressed one is alive??? He has 3/4 of his spines left, but isn't moving them or his sweeper tentacles. The spines are kind of up against his body and not sticking out, but some are. Is he ok?

It is my understanding that losing spines is a sign of their decline. If it arrived it brown water and spines are dropping off I would hold off adding it to your tank unless you have a seperate quarantine tank. Some people I have heard will even call it a loss as soon as it starts shedding spines and euthanize it by freezing or such. Good luck.

Its not losing any more now. I think they got broken off. He couldn't do any harm if added correct? It's a pincushion btw. I think I'm going to put him in my fuge so nothing picks on him. Should I?

He's not sticking to the bucket. Does that mean anything? Here are some pics... What do you think?

Attachments

• image-3842534850.jpg
    image-3842534850.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1408974748.jpg
    image-1408974748.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3746289203.jpg
    image-3746289203.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 94
I don't have a QT but I'll check when I get home. His mouth is closed though. Does that mean anything?

Just a personal experience....I had my pin cushion lose almost all of his pins due to a salinity issue in my tank. I had my salinity up around 1.030 for several months due to a bad hydrometer. He looked pretty bad but he kept moving and I could always see his sweeper tentacles. His activity never changed but he looked like crap. Anyway, after correcting that issue he has slowly recovered. This all happened in July and he is almost back to normal now, but still is regrowing spines.

I would say contact live aquaria cause it doesn't sound good. Hopefully you got some picks of the brown water he arrived in. Is he giving you any indication that he is even still alive?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom