Do you have live mysis shrimp in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS has live mysis shrimp running around the sandbed in some of their tanks. So I was wondering why I never see any in mine, and if others have them. Since fish love to eat them, I'm guessing that anyone who has fish doesn't have mysis shrimp.

yes cultures of them are massively expensive though, GARF grunge almost always has some in it though and its only 5 bucks a pound. Two pounds seeded my refugium nicely. I have Mysis and all kinds of different pods and micro stars, not too mention the strangest sponge on earth. long black fingers that stick up almost to the surface. I almost want to make a nano that will display a large colony of it.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to set something up for them. I just like watching them scurrying around on the sand bed.

I have quite a few...although I didn't have any for the first year. I think some hitchhiked in with something and I've had them ever since. I have fish, but the mysis hide out in the shadows and under things so the fish don't catch them.

On one occasion, I saw one go for a quick swim into open water. (suicidal...maybe?). Anyway, the swim lasted about 1 second.

I thought mysis shrimp were freshwater? I seem to remember my frozen shrimp from the LFS as being freshwater. There's obviously both :?

I have seen them in my refuge. They must have hitched a ride because I did not add them .

Thanks for the correction! Now that I'm calling them by the right name, I was able to find lots of good info by googling "mysid shrimp". :oops:

Is one any better than the other as far as nutritional value goes? My fish love the mysis FW shrimp. RayJay thanks for the clarification I never noticed the spelling difference. :wink:

yes there are sw and fw types.

Im about to buy a culture thing of them from aquaculturestore.com (like 20 dollars for 100 of them). Im going to breed them for food for my new seahorses im getting in a month or two. Well actually a snack, i dont want them to get hooked on live food or ill be quite angry lol.

I purchased a pair of H Reidi's and placed them in a ready tank.
These horses fed on frozen mysis when I picked them up, but when I put them in the tank, they wouldn't touch the frozen mysis.
I soon discovered they were after the mysids hiding in the rock, and, althought there is no sign of mysids remaining, (check at night time with a red filter over a flashlight lens) the pair wouldn't eat frozen mysis, brine, blood worms, or anything I try, until yesterday when one of them has been seen to pick at two or three each feeding. The other hasn't begun yet but I'm hopeful.
It certainly didn't take much to get them off their feed for frozen foods, but it's a chore to get them back on again.

Back
Top Bottom