Do you name your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
If you do, what kind are they and what are their names? If not, why?

I have a male baby betta named Brutus; a male cobra guppy I call Cobra (original, right?); three female guppies: Berry, Orangette, and Sunny; two currently unnamed black mollies (one male, one female); one unnamed nerite snail; and three unnamed ghost shrimp. All my unnamed fish/inverts are that way because A) I haven't found a name for them yet, or B) they're hard to tell apart (i.e. three nearly identical ghost shrimps).

Heck yeah I name them. Of course, I don't have a very large number of fish to keep track of. I have Mbuna cichlids named Shoe, Jimmer, Spike, Kiatu, A$AP, and Django. Then I have a pleco named Sir Charles. I used to have a betta named Nyekundu as well.

6 cardinal tetras: Aquamarine, Zig and Zag, Dart, Spring, and Spark

4 lemon tetras: Citrus, Sunny, Spike, and Limón

2 Celebes rainbows: Diamond and Loki

2 platys: Big Red and Sunburst

1 Kribensis: No Name for now until I can come up with one

1 otocinclus: Otto

1 horseface loach: Scavenger

Guppies
Anna
Coral
Elsa
Friendy Friend
Glow Worm
Sunny

Rabbit snails
Beatrix
Frank
Harvey
Hazel
Little One
Petta
Teeny
Urbana

Harlequin rasboras
Bender
Fishy
Hermes
Kif
Leela
Professor
Zoidberg

blue rams
Fast Sparkles
Stubby

kuhli loaches
Heidi
Swimmy

nerite snails
Horace
Linda
Pattern
Stripey

mystery snails
Maxime
Vanilla snail

dwarf gourami
Silvery

Japanese trapdoor snail
Snaily

It might surprise you to know that our six year-old names most of the fish.

Last edited:
Keyhole is Blue, BN is Mac, the guppies are just their patterns (so in my head it's always 'that guy/girl') and the shrimpies

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mollies:
Mean Bob
Brodie(named after dead dalmation dog)
Dippy
Toby
Fritter the 2nd (named after first childhood goldfish)
Fred
Ermentrude
Freckles
Speedy 2
Fat Barry

(It is to be noted that only 3 mollies are boys)

Rainbows:
Bruce (biggest)
Glitter butt (prettiest)
Alonzo (fastest)
The others are unnamed I struggle to tell them apart

Angels
Bonnie and Clyde named by nephew

Cories
Kiss (duplicate)
Milky cracker and honky (albinos -sorry named by brother in law)
Confucius, colossus and Arnold (bronze)
Beardy Tash and Hipster are the peppered

Individuals with personalities get names: I once had a betta I named "Rocky," because he was a little tough guy. While waiting to pay for him, he tried attacking my hand through the bag. :biglol:

I can't name all my fish because I have too many in 100+ gallon aquariums so I decided not to name any of them so I don't get attached to them

I don't bother naming my fish because I'm constantly selling the ones I breed, I did however name my clown pleco boomba (named by sister). My panda Cory catfish are named shock and still because of the way they act lol

Mystery snail: big ben (he is big), blue (you can guess why), and weirdo (he just does his own thing)
betta: Sky "kai" samurai
i have a bunch of guppies in this tank and though they look different it would be too tough to remember all of their names
I also have corys and kuhlis in there and since i can't tell the difference between them i don't name them.
female bettas (seperate tank): shimmer (white with shimmers of pink and blue), canary (yellow) , holly (green and red), easter (pastel blue and pink), blue b*tch (she's the meanest and she's blue), baby girl/violet (she's purple and she was a baby when I got her)

different tank: neons (can't tell a part so I don't name them)
mollies......I can only tell the male among them and I called him big Papa

I intend to follow the same rule as Barliman, since that is what I used to do before my 5-8 year break from fish keeping, in that I name only the individuals that have personality. Currently I have a Blue Crowntail Betta who is named Buck...though there are days where I waited on naming him so he could be called Indy since he is as adventurous and trouble-making as the original. If I changed his name now it would just be weird.

Nirbhao and Lev.....thats impressive. I cant even keep my chickens straight lol

Back
Top Bottom