Do You Need To Acclimate a Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I was under the understanding that everything needed to be acclimated, especially inverts.

I just purchased a rare coral from saltwaterfish.com, and their website says coral's do not need acclimation, and can just be dropped into your tank...

Is this true?

I e-mailed them, and they responded "You can acclimate the coral if you want to, but there is no need to"

Thanks for the help,

-TheChad

I would say you need to acclimate corals. The water parameters from the store to shipping to your tank are probably way off. Personally, I don't keep corals, but when I do start, I plan on acclimating mine. Hopefully other's with experience can chime in.

Wow, I've never heard NOT to acclimate them! I have drip acclimated all of my corals as most of them tend to be even more sensitive than fish. I just wouldn't take the chance personally.

I never heard of that either. Corals are a living thing; and most are pretty sensitive. Considering they need certain types of care in order to survive; I would think that throwing them in an environment where water parameters, including temp, could be far off from where they came from could shock them, and therefore be detrimental to their health. I don't drip acclimate them as suggested by many. I float them in the tank and add water to the bag every 5-10 minutes for a couple hours. So far everything has worked out Ok.

There are a few corals you can get by with temp acclimation. Other than that I usually drip for an hour depending on what it is.

I only float to equalize temperature. After that, I cut the bag open and drop them into the aquarium.

Steven Pro said:
I only float to equalize temperature. After that, I cut the bag open and drop them into the aquarium.

Can I have a signed picture? :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is your coral farm coming along? Been following the thread...

::wayyy off topic...forgive me.::

(Guess it has to do with coral :p)

I also drop the bag in to equalize the temp but I also after that remove some of the water and add tank water a few times for about an hour and then add to the tank. I dont drip acclimate my corals any more but I only have soft and LPS corals. And you cant get a signed pic till I do first Marc. LOL

My friend and i have never acclimated corals and have never had a problem. I know people say you should, but until i have a problem i am just gonna put them right in like i always do. Everything is usually open within an hour also. I've never seen any adverse effects.

I would rather be safe than sorry personally. After shelling out 50-100 bucks for a coral, I'll take the hour or two and drip acclimate.

Guess it's up to personal opinion. I usually only temperature acclimate with my corals, but depending on the sensitivity of some, I'll drip acclimate. So I do both. Regardless, do not just pop open the bag and drop them in, atleast make sure the temps are correct.

I just got my Tracking Number from Saltwaterfish.com, and they state "If you have Snails or Hermits in your order you will find they are not shipped with water. You can float them in your aquarium for fifteen minutes and then pour them in."

Shipping with out water??

I am starting to wonder if ordering from them was such a great idea after all. LiveAquaria.com is really good, and I know some have ordered from saltwaterfish.com before, so I took the chance, but some of the stuff they advice worries me...

-TheChad

They are probably shipped in damp towels. A lof of people ship Zoa's this way.

I think it is best to follow the directions that are provided by the site you ordered from. The ONLY reason I say this is because any guarntees that they may offer on your purchase will most likely be voided if you don't follow their instructions exactly.

I personally drip acclimate my corals for at least an hour after getting the temp right.

Back
Top Bottom