Doc's 180 Gallon Tropheus Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc_Polit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently picked up a reef-ready 180-gallon tank with stand and 90-gallon sump for an absolute steal.

When complete this will be home to my colony of 34 F1 Tropheus sp. Bulu Point "Cherry Spots". I will be adding 20 F1 Tropheus from a separate blood line and 8 F0/F1 Tanganyikan Goby Cichlids.

Gonna journal the process....

391752348.jpg

Here is my stand (1.5" steel tubing) after it got sand-blasted to bare metal and received an awesome gloss white powder coat.

391752349.jpg

My tank.

391752355.jpg

Another look at the tank.

391752345.jpg

Completely removed the black, plastic top trim.

391752339.jpg

For anyone that has struggled removing trim, this worked like a charm.

391752340.jpg

Did I mention that the blade is really sharp? What is a DIY project with no blood-shed?

391752342.jpg

This is as it sits right now. I have completely removed the center brace and euro-bracing to ease installation of the background.

Needless to say, all the trim and glass removal (combined with the residual substrate left by the previous owner) has resulted in a huge mess inside the tank. The clean-up comes next. More pics to come once I make some relevant progress.

Looks good so far, I like the powder coating! Never seen a gloss white but I really like it. Keep the pictures coming! :)

One heck of a first post! Are you going to buy new trim or just replace the glass that was already there? All tanks must have blood... :) Welcome to AA!

Thanks for the compliments.

Once my background is in place, I will be re-installing my center brace and adding custom perimeter (euro) bracing.

After literally hours of scrubbing the tank is finally clean. I used acetone, pro-strength glass cleaner and about 75 razor blades. :eyes:

391825583.jpg

391825581.jpg

The odd lines on the right portion of this shot are silicone stain on the inner overflow glass. It is no issue as I will be covering it with black acrylic.

The grungy part of this project is finally done......on to the fun stuff. :cool:

Wow looks amazing! I feel ya on the 75 razor blades... haha. It is amazing what a couple hours and some elbow grease can do! It is a night and day difference. Good work and keep the pics coming! :)

most definitely, the latest pictures look like a completely different and brand new tank! thats probably the framing being gone though lol

Not much of an update yet.....sorry. :(

I discovered that the rip fence on my table saw likes to "wander" and is making accurate cuts nearly impossible.

Rather than continuing to fight with it I decided to make cut jigs (4' and 8') for my circular saw. This is the 4'.

392429744.jpg

392429742.jpg

392429743.jpg

They are made from 1/2" MDF and have cut-outs for clamping. There is also 80-grit sand paper glued to the bottom surface to keep them from sliding.

Quick grip clamp at the end of the fence will help you with your moving fence problem :)

I already tried that but the back side of my saw has some sort of rounded guard that runs the length. It does not leave any room (or a flat surface to apply a clamp). :taped:

dont know what model tablesaw/fence you have but most of them have adjustments to tighten them up. you could maybe google it and find out how if you dont still have the manual.

One heck of a first post! Are you going to buy new trim or just replace the glass that was already there? All tanks must have blood... :) Welcome to AA!
Thanks for the compliments.

Once my background is in place, I will be re-installing my center brace and adding custom perimeter (euro) bracing.

Along for the ride as well - looking very good so far.

Is the powder coating superior to outdoor paint on the metal stand?

Back
Top Bottom