does any1 know how to rebreed brine shrimp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
because i was wondering after you made one batch and ab out 4 days later they die and will they rebreed if u keep em in there the whole time??
because i dont wanna put the eggs in there every time and i think i heard iot somewhere but im not sure

If you are using baby brine shrimp to feed your fry, then you need to make a new batch every day or so. Its near impossible to separate the adults from the baby shrimp, and the adults are useless as food.

If you are looking to keep them as pets, get some SeaMonkeys. Same thing and you get the cute little container so you can see them as well.

no i meant i was going to grow them when the adults have eggs im gonna get them and put them in an other container until they hatch then feed them

Microworms are soo much easier! You have the no-seeums, the maggots and then the wee fruit flys. Just add food source and go! And they wiggle for a while so interest the fry.Ann test bred her least fish. This fry group is so much better off than the gourami. Larger, wigglier and in a proper fry tank. I gave up on brine shrimp...bleh! What a hassle!
I woud think you would have to have a dedicated brackish tank like an lfs to actuallly breed the buggers..

No Adult Brine shrimp will not lay eggs on easy means. it requires a 10gal...a glued in silcon special made divider and all this crap. It is not worth the time. You need to get a hatchery or make one...and mix up batches delay. Search google for brine shrimp hatchery and gather your information from there. Once again PLEASE keep your post count down.

oh and do you have to use the rigid airline tubing or can u just use the regular kind for ur hatchery

I also don't see anything wrong with the post count. This is just someone looking for answers to better help their little fish friends.

As far as which type of tubing you use in the hatcheries, I don't see any reason why it would matter which kind you use.

okay... and it is true you need a 10 gallon to re breed brine shrimp because i heard that this guy raised brine shrimp in coffee cans and left em there and forgot about them for like a year and later he accidently knocked it down and there were tons of brine shrimp in there (i hope its not true)

I think Pk tester meant, *today* please keep your post count to a reasonable size =o)

This isn't to be mean or anything, but in one day krap101 posted a lot of related posts repeatidly. That is were PK's comment came from =o)

lol and i know type in complete sentences with periods and capitals dont dont talk in slang gotchya lol

Krap, if anyone left anything in a coffe can for a year it would rot, rust, die, andall the water would evaporate. I think someone is telling you stories. That's sort of a no-brainer

I have been making batches of brine shrimp for about a month now.

If you leave the babies in the water for longer than 4-5 days (when you used the suggested proportions of shrimp to water) you end up with lots of dead SMELLY water.

If you use relatively few eggs versus the amount of water it seems that a larger percentage of brine shrimp will hatch and they seem to be larger after 3 days compared to using massive amounts of eggs (as well as one could discern with such minute creatures). Someone has previously given a formula for growing brine shrimp to adult hood I believe (I searched for this topic before) and it involved epsom salts, aquarium salt and some other salt.

I don't use a "stiff" tube though I could see it would be easier if you were to do everything the way in which most suggest. I have been just using the cover of a blank CD stack since it would give me a large surface area for just a few ounces of water and the clear sides allow me to keep it next to my home made light fixture where I can see the little suckers swimming up to the edge (next to the light). I just siphon some off into a brine shrimp net and then transfer them from the net to a little cup with some tank water (to wash them from the net). Then I pour it into the tank. I would just put them in the tank with the brine shrimp net but I have had difficulty in releasing the shrimp in a manner which allowed me to see them. When I pore them from a cup I can see exactly where they are in the tank and watch as the guppy fry gobble them up.

Oh what a great idea! I may try that; just need to figure out how to set it up where the cat can't get to it LOL

Yes and the large surface area means I do not bother with aerating it at all (it was so much messier the first few times when I hooked up the air pump to a cone like cup...).

Edit:

I just found where you can get brine shrimp food to grow the shrimp if you desire: Click here!

Here's a post I made a while back on raising brine shrimp. It's been a long time since I did any of this but it works pretty well. Perhaps you might want to try it.

"Definitely keep the air stone on. If you want to grow the shrimp larger, here is how I do it. Use a 5 gallon aquarium or something similar in size...one of the plastic "critter keepers" would work fine. To each gallon of water, mix 10 1/2 ounces of plain salt (no iodide), 2 heaping tbsp of Epsom salt, 1 ounce baking soda, 1/4 tsp active dry yeast. You can add 1/2 tsp of yeast if there are a lot of shrimp in there. Keep water at 78-80 degrees. Have this mixed up and running with an airstone in it for at least 24 hrs before you add shrimp from hatchery. Don't dump hatchery in there...net shrimp in fine net and add them to tank. When water begins to clear, add more yeast. Mix new yeast in fresh water when you feed and try to add about what has evaporated. This will keep salinity about right. Try to keep water slightly cloudy...no need to clean this tank...it gets better with age. They will take about a month to mature. Leave some mature shrimp in there and they will reproduce. This is how I have done it and it works. Fish love them. Shrimp will grow slower if water is colder than 78-80. Keep airstone running at all times."

thats helps alot ill have a empty 5 gallon soon because my cousins fish ate eachother the silver shark ate the rainbow shark and then it turned like orange he said... he has a 5 gallon and he thinks the other is a 10 gallon. my dads going down there on the way to Wash U. and is gonna pick up my tanks. When i get them im gonna use 1 of my 5 gallons (i have a 5 and a 10 right now) and use it for breeding brine shrimp (im not going to feed them to my fish until they lay eggs and then im going to use the 2 liter bottle hatchery thingy and put the eggs in there and hatch them and then feed it to my fish) is this a good idea?? (and ivwe heard when you put brine shrimp into a tank you need to separate 1 side from the other and put a light in with all this stuff. (please expain what to do) the sites that say to do it with like a 5 gallon are unclear and im sure there aernt any books on it

Is this guy for real? 111 posts (plus 2 for the deleted thread) since February 4th???

GO TO THE LIBRARY!

Back
Top Bottom