Does my betta have fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gigibaby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is he developing fin rot? Please see pictures.

Attachments

• image-2325424532.jpg
    image-2325424532.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2458729100.jpg
    image-2458729100.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3386879395.jpg
    image-3386879395.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 60
I've been changing the water 50%-75% every other day. The tank is only a few weeks old. I just noticed the whiteness on the front fin today and the tips in the back turning black.

I've been changing the water 50%-75% every other day. The tank is only a few weeks old. I just noticed the whiteness on the front fin today and the tips in the back turning black.

When I had first gotten my betta the tips of its fins turned white also. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? The water changes are great. Do you use a water conditioner?

I've been reading up on the nitrogen cycle but this is my first attempt at cycling a tank so I don't think it has cycled, yet. I haven't tested the water since I did a water change yesterday. I was planning on doing that tonight.

I use the Tetra brand bettasafe water conditioner when I do water changes.

I added a few plants yesterday and a stronger light which I left overnight. I also took out the snail he was with. He was flaring initially with the light on because he was seeing his reflection but after a while he calmed down.

I would just keep up with the water changes maybe add a little aquarium salt and keep an eye on it. If big piece if tail start to disappear consider meds. I've read that lots if light can help the bacteria that causes fin rot grow... But I would guess its just because the tank is new. As you get the nitrogen cycle going it should be better. Remember not to change your filter till its falling apart and when you clean it swish it in used tank water or it will kill the good bacteria and start the cycle over again. And read up on foods you can feed to give it a super healthy diet, like frozen foods and occasionally deshelled cooked frozen peas to help ward of constipation and bloat.... Just tips I wish I has know when my betta was brand new to me. He sadly passed away after being I'm care for almost 3 years....

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the advice. It's really helpful.

If your doing a fish in cycle it's really important you read the sticky on it.
Make sure your testing the water regularly I personally use an api test kit.
If he does have fin rot make sure you do plenty of water changes and keep the ammonia and nitrate levels down, good luck

Back
Top Bottom