Does my goldfish have ick? Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately I have noticed that my goldfish has two little white spots on his body that sort of resemble ick. He had a spot like this on his fin that lasted around two months, but it went away with ease. Where these two know spots are it kind of looks like he lost some scales. The spots aren't very apparent, but with a close eye it's a bit worrisome. My dilemma is that while he does have these spots, he shows absolutely no other symptoms for ick. He is very far from being lethargic, eats perfectly, and doesn't seem to have any itchy areas. This is my first fish, so I have not treated any fish before and I fear I don't have the resources for it. How do I confirm this is ick? Should I only just wait? When and how will I treat him? I can't let this fish die.:eek::eek:

Ich looks like your fish has been sprinkled with salt or sugar, can you post a pic, also with fish you have to maintain the tank.. What are the water parameters

Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Ph?

What size tank as goldfish really shouldn't be kept in an aquarium unless they are fancy (split tail) goldfish And they need for 1 a 20-30 gallon and 10 gallons for each additional one. (they can be kept in an aquarium but you'll have your work cut out for you)

My goldfish is in a 20 gallon tank. This spot is only one, but I worry it will blossom into more spots. Right now I haven't been able to check my parameters, but I know ammonia levels aren't high. I did miss a week of water change due to being out of town.

This is the best picture I could get. It's the white dot on his side that has me concerned. As far as parameters go, I haven't been able to check them but last time I did they were fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20180112_071549_403.jpg
    IMG_20180112_071549_403.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 43
IMO, not Ick. Really concentrate on gravel vacs during WC's in order to dilute possible growing parasite populations. Relax, take a deep breath. If this eventually turns out to be an Ick issue, there are several inexpensive meds readily available.

Yeah, doesn’t look like ich to me either. FYI, gravel isn’t the ideal substrate for goldfish. Simply put, it traps too much junk, and goldfish are messy. Sand or even bare bottom is much more ideal. Not to mention there are plenty of stories of pieces of gravel getting lodged in their mouths and killing them. You need to make sure you keep his water super clean, and keep an eye on that bump.

Back
Top Bottom