Does size matter? LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
My male betta looks a lot bigger than the female. Would they be okay to breed together os is the size difference too much?

Picture isnt the best. There very active

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405443277973.jpg
    1405443277973.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 90
If she is sexually mature and shows interest in spawning with the male, it shouldn't be a problem. IF she is too young or not sexually mature and not showing signs( that first egg spot) he will most likely kill her if he's ready to spawn. This is one of the hazards of breeding Bettas. It needs to be done specifically and not just "willy nilly, throw a male & female together and see what happens" kind of thing. There is no guarantee that the female will survive the spawn. This is why I only breed the fish I don;t mind losing.

Hope this helps

How exactly do I know if the female is sexually mature. A spot? And the male doesnt bother her anymore . If she gets too close to him sometimes he'll chase her for about 3 seconds and then leaves her alone. He doesnt build a nest either because the current from the filter wrecks it

How exactly do I know if the female is sexually mature. A spot? And the male doesnt bother her anymore . If she gets too close to him sometimes he'll chase her for about 3 seconds and then leaves her alone. He doesnt build a nest either because the current from the filter wrecks it

Sounds like you are playing with fire there.:facepalm: Male & female Bettas are not recommended to be kept together unless you are trying to breed them and then the female is only together with the male for the spawning then should be removed or the male will sometimes kill her if she can't can't out of his way. These fish are not like your other common breeding fish. 2 parents are not how these fry survive. It's a brutal thing to watch. :eek:
A female Betta that is sexually mature will show her first egg at her ovipostitor. It will look like a white pimple between her pelvic fins. If your female doesn't have that, she is not ready to breed.

I strongly suggest you read the following article on breeding Bettas. ( breeding bettas) Your setup is completely wrong for breeding them. Without even seeing your tank I can tell because you have a filter on it. :brows: Betta fry do not like water movement.

Happy reading (y)

My female hasn't got her ovipositor. So im guessing shes too young. They get along no with no problems. No chasing or anything. The male was very aggressive to previous fish but seems fine with the female betta

I will . Thanks

Back
Top Bottom