Does this sound right? (price for tank and everything else)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I inquired about a 40 gal. breeder tank that my LFS would order for me. The price they told me was $84 (not including lights, etc...) does this sound right? I am going back today because I asked if they could maybe piece an entire set together for me (and it will be a planted tank so good lighting is a must). I'll post that later on today. Thanks everyone! I'm a poor college student (as are most college kids) and saving money anywhere I can is a good thing. :)

hmm..i haven't bought a pre-fab tank in a long time, but i can compare prices for you at the lfs i'm going to today. hold off on the lfs getting the lights for you unles they really know their plant stuff. i'd go with AHS lights and many others will second that. i have gone with AHS lights twice now...heck, my 2x13 kit for the 10gal just arrived about an hour ago! i'll be ordering another 2x55 in a couple weeks when my canopy gets finished.

i feel ya on the broke college thing, i'm in the same boat. just remember this: we are BROKE, not POOR. poor is a perpetual state whereas being broke is just temporary.

haha ok, I like the sound of "broke" better anyway... and I'll check out some other lighting options but I upgraded my little ten gallon to some lighting they had in the store and my plants are thriving.

do you think it would be better/less expensive to make my own stand? I know Lowes down the street will make the cuts that I'll need at the store, and peicing it all together will be no problem so long as the cuts are done right.

what do you guys recommend for filtration?? will a heater from wally-world (walmart) be alright? or should I get something else? hehe, sorry to be bombarding you guys with all these questions. thanks!!!

i have the walmart heaters in all my tanks. im getting another one for my 29 gallon though. because not enough watts. pretty much any heater will be okay as long as it has enough watts

and 84$ is a pretty nice price for a 40 gallon tank even without the hood. err it is *only* missing the hood or just the tank itself and no heater filter etc... for 50 or 60$ (cant remember) i got a 29 gallon tank/hood. and bought everything else seperately.

ok, I have the list (and prices) in my hand...

40 gal breeder tank: $86.00

glass top to fit: $33.15

36" Aqualght 96w: $134.00

Wood stand, black: $169.00

Emperor 280 filter: $58.46

Rena Cal Excel 150W: $21.56

Thermometer with suction: $2.24

15 lbs of Flourite: $19.76

having a great freshwater setup for my fishies: priceless

hehe, sorry about the cliche mastercard commercial, but I just had to add it in. These prices include a 10% discount which the store will give me. It totals $560.86 after taxes are added. I definatly think I can make a stand for much less. Probebly half the price it would cost to buy it premaid. Maybe even cheaper if I can get scraps. So I think that is going to be an option. I don't mind spending the money one the lighting, unless there are better options available for the same price or less. Any other ideas on how to save my pennies?? Thanks again!

An emperor 400 is $37 on big al's online. And DON'T get a heater from walmart, they are known to break unexpectedly. A 200w ebo is $14 on big al's.

hmmm... after shipping and handling, would it still be cheaper to order from there? I don't know what they charge for shipping since I've never ordered over the internet

if it doesnt come with everything id just to to like petsmart and buy the tank/hood. a 55 gallon tank sells for about 90 (i think) with tank/hood/light bulb. you could get like 2 filters in there or 1 big filter. emperor 400 is 36.00$ at bigals right now. and that might be enough filteration. heater like 20$ lets say. stand... you could prolly make one if ur handy in that aspect. or you could get some of those dinky wire ones for like 40$. uhh. depends on what you put in there but you could get about 50 lbs for like 7$ for aragnite or like 2$ for 40 lbs of play sand.

since it doesnt come with nething i dont really think its a good. deal.

well, the petsmart all inclusive tanks dont have the lighting i need for a planted tank, plus 50 gal is too big for my apartment, as well as it wont have the 36x18 footprint that I want since this tank is going to be specifically for some bottom dwelling fish that like lots of turning room, etc... the 50 gal are too narrow, even though they are longer. Otherwise, they'd be a great option. thanks though :) also, the substrate has lots of good stuff for the plants i'll be growing, although maybe with my DIY CO2 pump they will be fine.

I am in the same boat you are (but I like poor college student better- i get more sympathy ha!)

What I would do is get a kit for the time being (like a 55 kit or something). Since you are going to have to cycle and set up and all of that w/o fish- use the equipment it comes with and replace it as you (and your wallet) sees fit. And all the left overs you could sell in a "lot" on ebay to get some money back. If you do get a kit, check around to see what brands are better in what kits- so that way you might end up with something you like.

When it comes to stands- you should be able to build one for a little cheaper than that (even if its $20 cheaper thats still $20).

Also, look on ebay! Search for aquarium and by distance and see if there is anything in your area that will fit your budget.

Good luck!

thanks, I'm thinking about skipping on having my planted tank and just doing silk/plastic plants *sigh*. Really I just like planted tanks better, but I can live without it, and I doubt my fish will really care too. That will cut down on a lot of the cost. Still, the 55 gal is too big, plus it doesn't have the big footprint I want for my bottom fish who will need more turning room. Since the tank is specifically for these fish, I don't want to compromise there because I want them comfy, and I don't mind spending more on the tank for their comfort. I looked around on Big Al's and they seem to have a bunch of stuff that I'll need for much less, so that is a start. :)

Would a 36" Perfecto Flouresent light (with with two stip bulbs thingies) be sufficient for a planted tank? I found one for $72.99 on Big Al's. By mixing some stuf from Big Al's and my LFS, I've cut the cost from $560.86 to nearly $350 8O it is looking good, I think.

I'v only seen it in PetSmarts, so I don't know if other people cary them.

However.

I've seen Marineland " Starter Kits "

They come in various sizes, like 10-20 gal, 55-75gal ect ect.

They a Penguin Biowheel filter, heaters, nets, dechlor and food I think. Basicly, everything you need savefor the tank, lights, gravel and fish

$84 for a 40g breeder! I am almost positive that Petworld(not sure if they are nation-wide) has them for approx $65. A 55g from there cost anywhere from $75-85. IMO that is too much.

never seen a petworld in NC so I wouldn't know. :( As soon as my paycheck comes in, I'm going to get started on everything, very excited!! (and driving my roommates crazy with all my plans/change of plans... etc :roll: )

The big al's strip light you were looking at is only 60 watts. That wont be enough. But if you look at the power compact strip lights. The 36" 110w strip is only $110. You can get flourite from big al's too.

Back
Top Bottom