Doing Something Wrong...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys...

I am not sure what I am going wrong here. As some of you know I changed both of my filters at one time, I just wasnt thinking that day. I threw my tank in a mini cycle.

Now my levels are not moving. My NitrItes did a spike to .25 and now are back to 0

My Ammonia- despite my water changes of 30%-60% debating on my levels, dropped from 1.0 and is not moving off of .25 and my NitrAte level is not moving off of 10 though i am waiting for my 3rd result tonight (I was hoping I did something wrong- it is at a solid 40 the last week its been at 10 otherwise.

So what am I doing wrong, guys? I am totally confused...

I have a 29 gallon stocked with 2 harlequins, 2 zebra danios, 1 betta, 1 weather loach, and 1 snail. There have been no deaths

Every one is acting just fine and their colors are good tonight. Maybe I am just getting my numbers all confused?

(In other news my 5 gallon is cycling beautifully)

My reading February 4 in the late morning

Ammonia: .25
NitrAtes: 10
NitrItes: .25
pH 6.0

My results tonight:

Ammonia: .25
NitrAte: 40
NitrIte: 0
pH 6.4

I wouldn't worry about it tbh. It looks like its doing fine and as long as your ammonia and nitrites are kept at no higher than 0.25ppm then you aren't going to see any problems from your tank.

It just takes some time for things to progress.

Would it be safe to try a substrate change now- or should I wait on that? I thought to take 75% of the water out and change it out- with the fish in another tank. I am worried it will put my tank in another cycle XD

Almost all the surviving bacteria is on the rocks at the moment. I would give it at minimum 2 weeks before a substrate change. A month would be safer.

*nods* I can wait. I cant remember when I changed the filters... I should go check on my post cause it was about a week after I had....

Edit: It was the 15-20 of January. I am also only doing a partial change- I am taking out some of the white and add black flourite for my plants. I will still wait a couple more weeks though just to be safe...

Back
Top Bottom