Dominent Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninaround

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish have issues! My male mollies was the king. My female mollie is now pregnant. The rolls have now changed. My king is now hiding in the tank! Is my female being a B cause she is about to give birth? Will she stop picking on him or do I need to do something?

I have a community tank! With a pair of balloon mollies a school of bloodfin tetras a pair of mickey mouse platy....and a few guppies. Tank has been set up for 4 months with these fish all together from the beginning. Tank is cycled and weekly water changes done!

im willing to bet she's getting huffy because she doesnt want the babies eaten! whenever my old mollies bred, the males didnt mess with them. how soon to giving birth is the female? and is the male actually getting beaten up? how bad? xx

She eats her babies herself! She had babies last 6 weeks ago! She is nipping at his fins!

if she's that close to birthing, then yeah i think its the pregnancy.
however i am fully aware she will eat the babies! haha, its natural of these kinds of fish. i think its just during the pregnancy they get agitated and scare off threats. then they see babies and they are like 'om nom nom'. do you save the babies?

does she have a squared off belly yet? you may wanna put her in a breeder net when she's super close if you want all the fry (and a less nipped male!)

The breeder box we have borrowed doesn't have a top and she jumps out!

ahhh i had exactly that problem with guppies i bred, and since the breeder box was kept in the cichlid tank for space reasons it was NOT good thing! have a look at plastic, clear breeder boxes. work a charm and look pretty enough, plus a ton easier to clean

Back
Top Bottom