Done stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interloper

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 12g Fluval Edge...prolly lightly planted compared to others I have seen...6 plants total...

Anyways, its been up and working great for like 6 months or so, I just wanna know if I'm over stocked or what...it's all cycled and I check the water every few days and do the weekly water changes and what not too...

I have currently have...

5x cardinal tetras
5x espe rasboras (sill young)
7+ ghost shrimp prolly more heh
4x Julii Corys

I just got the corys today...I know the 1in per gallon recommendation but yeah...am I going to run into issues? Doing more water changes a week isn't a big deal but I just wanna know if it's like crazy overstocked...

I don't think it is overstocked but I'm new and don't really know lol...so here i am askin you folks! :p

Interloper said:
So I have a 12g Fluval Edge...prolly lightly planted compared to others I have seen...6 plants total...

Anyways, its been up and working great for like 6 months or so, I just wanna know if I'm over stocked or what...it's all cycled and I check the water every few days and do the weekly water changes and what not too...

I have currently have...

5x cardinal tetras
5x espe rasboras (sill young)
7+ ghost shrimp prolly more heh
4x Julii Corys

I just got the corys today...I know the 1in per gallon recommendation but yeah...am I going to run into issues? Doing more water changes a week isn't a big deal but I just wanna know if it's like crazy overstocked...

I don't think it is overstocked but I'm new and don't really know lol...so here i am askin you folks! :p

What are espe rasboras?
All of those species need a 20 long at the least
The inch per gal rule is not the finest rule and is generally disregarded here
Ex. My ten gal has 5 2" long fish and 8 1" long fish
According to that rule I am way overstocked (I'm only a little overstocked at the moment)
So you can see how we here at AA disregard it
You can get a school of 6 ember tetas, 6 dwarf cories, and 2 scarlet badis for your tank and not be overstocked plus you could add RCS and a school of 8 celestial pearl danios(galaxy rasboras) once you get more plants
However you would have to remove your ghost shrimp to have 3/4 inch long fish and red cherry shrimp(RCS)

emerald76 said:
What are espe rasboras?
All of those species need a 20 long at the least
The inch per gal rule is not the finest rule and is generally disregarded here
Ex. My ten gal has 5 2" long fish and 8 1" long fish
According to that rule I am way overstocked (I'm only a little overstocked at the moment)
So you can see how we here at AA disregard it
You can get a school of 6 ember tetas, 6 dwarf cories, and 2 scarlet badis for your tank and not be overstocked plus you could add RCS and a school of 8 celestial pearl danios(galaxy rasboras) once you get more plants
However you would have to remove your ghost shrimp to have 3/4 inch long fish and red cherry shrimp(RCS)

Lol it seems im totally wrong...if I have to I can rehome everyone but yeah...I really don't want to...lol

What are the dimensions of your tank?
I do suggest switching your cardinals our for neons. Neons stay smaller than cards and generally do better in smaller tanks. I assume you meant espei rasboras. They are a bit big for a 12g tank, but it depends on the footprint of the tank. There are some smaller, but similar looking raboras that would do better in your tank. Same thing with the juliis.

I forget off the top of my head but without a tape measure or anything, google told me 22in high 17 wide 12-13 wide....

And since it's a. Edge it's got the dumb tiny top on it lol

Ok, with a footprint like that, you should stick with nano fish IMO. They are tiny and need less horizontal swimming space. Try looking up ember tetras, green neons, chili rasbora, and emerald rasbora. :) Nano fish is the generally used to describe fish that only reach about an inch (or less) and can be kept in tanks with only about 12 inches of horizontal swimming room. Little fish like embers and chilis will live longer and be happier in your tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom