Dont want to be evil but ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crocodylus

Aquarium Advice Regular
South of the Border... down Mexico way...
Aside from separating the pregnant females, and not having them cavort with the males, what’s the best ‘natural’ way to control the fry population in an established tank? Someone recommended a while ago buying a couple of Angels to err.. manage the population. My setup is as follows, have a 40G with 6 coryes, 10 neons, 6 guppies, one male platy and about 15 silver mollies. I also have a 10G with 2 very pregnant platies, 10 guppy fry, 12 mollie fry and about 5-6 platy fry (I guess the females are slowly releasing the frys) I would love to have all the big fish in the big tank and use the smaller one for a quarantine/breeder (when needed) tank.

Any recommendation would be well received. Thanks!!

well...if you put the frys back in the 40G tank, there's a high chance of it being eaten....but that kinda seems a little evil... :twisted:

azn dreamer said:
well...if you put the frys back in the 40G tank, there's a high chance of it being eaten....but that kinda seems a little evil... :twisted:

They are in the 40G :lol:

And so far the other fish dont seem interested in making a snack of them :cry: Someone just suggested some cherry barbs.. are they good? how many do i have to buy since they are schooling fish? are they fin nippers?

I hate to say it, but soon my guppies will be out of control. Around that time I should have some cichlids in my large tank. I think I'll have some periodic live food for my cichlids...

-j

cherry barbs are not renown for fin nipping but sometimes does happen. One problem is that the cherry barbs are fast breeders so soon you'll have another over populating problem. :mrgreen:

I wouldhave left the females in the same tank if I was conserned about overpopulating. Allot wouldn't make it maby 2 or so of each speicies would. It sound's like your fry are biger now so the other fish don't eat them. Because guppies do eat their young like many other fish.

Back
Top Bottom