Dosing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonathanG

Aquarium Advice Activist
After watching my alkalinity slowly drop over the course of the past year just doing water changes I've started dosing to supplement the water changes. I got the BRS 2 part solution starter kit I've raised the alkalinity back up to the correct levels over the course of the past 3 weeks. I'm at a point now where I've pretty much nailed down the daily amount. I've been testing everyday calc and Alk and the Alk drops about 10 ppm each day but the Calc doesn't drop at all. I was under the impression that I would need to dose both but so far out of the 1 gallon batches I've made of Calc and Alk solution I've used about 100ml of calc solution and over 1/3 of the gallon of Alk solution. Is this normal? Since I started dosing I've seen an explosion of growth in my coral.

The ratio is not always 1:1 I've found over the years. Have you had to dose Mg yet? Have you tested for Mg yet? Mg levels will also affect the Alk to Calc ratio. Also, if things still seem a bit fishy, why not get a second opinion and take a water sample to your LFS and have them test? As always, make sure you (and your LFS) are using good test kits.

I have MG solution ready but have not dosed it as I do not yet have a test kit for it.

ALK tests are between 150 and 155 everyday, then I dose to 160. Next day it's between 150 and 155

CALC drops over the course of the week from 440 to 420.

Back
Top Bottom