Downsizing thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidsquiggle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm getting ready to move, and it might be a good time to downsize a little. I've currently got a 10 gal with a single male betta, and a 40 gal breeder with 5 black kuhli loaches, 3 pearl danios, 2 pearl gouramis, and a bristlenose pleco. Both tanks moderately planted, the 10 gal has been running about a year, the 40b around 5 years.

I had originally planned to add more fish to the current 40b stock, but now I'm just not sure I want to mess with it anymore. The problem is I'm actually pretty attached to my bristlenose (long finned albino female, so lovely) and my kuhlis.

So what do you guys think? If I kept my SunSun 302 filter (rated for 75 gal), would something like a 20 long or a 29 gal be big enough to keep my pleco and kuhlis comfortable? I couldn't throw the betta in there as well, could I? (I figure if nothing else the filter output would be too strong for him..) Maybe I could add a couple more kuhlis to make them more outgoing? I'm just kinda tired of dragging around this big heavy 40b when I'm probably never going to get around to adding to the stock (and moving to an upstairs apartment makes me paranoid; at least I figure a smaller tank would be less likely to get me into trouble with the landlord re: hypothetical spillage).

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts!

I'm getting ready to move, and it might be a good time to downsize a little. I've currently got a 10 gal with a single male betta, and a 40 gal breeder with 5 black kuhli loaches, 3 pearl danios, 2 pearl gouramis, and a bristlenose pleco. Both tanks moderately planted, the 10 gal has been running about a year, the 40b around 5 years.

I had originally planned to add more fish to the current 40b stock, but now I'm just not sure I want to mess with it anymore. The problem is I'm actually pretty attached to my bristlenose (long finned albino female, so lovely) and my kuhlis.

So what do you guys think? If I kept my SunSun 302 filter (rated for 75 gal), would something like a 20 long or a 29 gal be big enough to keep my pleco and kuhlis comfortable? I couldn't throw the betta in there as well, could I? (I figure if nothing else the filter output would be too strong for him..) Maybe I could add a couple more kuhlis to make them more outgoing? I'm just kinda tired of dragging around this big heavy 40b when I'm probably never going to get around to adding to the stock (and moving to an upstairs apartment makes me paranoid; at least I figure a smaller tank would be less likely to get me into trouble with the landlord re: hypothetical spillage).

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts!

The Khulis and BN should do fine in a 29 (choose it over a 20 just for the extra water, it has the same footprint) but the Betta wont do well with all the current from the canister (as in, it wont really be able to swim at all and will probably end up dead... The males do especially bad in the current)

As for adding more Khulis; if it just them and the BN in the tank with that big filter i would say you could do 10 of them. Since its planted you might be able to do 12. They arent big or major waste creators, so i think it would be ok.

I would just keep the Betta somewhere in the 10... Its a good size tank for an end table or dresser...

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Ooh, that's a lot more kuhlis than I was expecting! What a weird and cute tank that would be. Yeah Bucky the betta can keep his tank, its not as much trouble as the big one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my K011 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ooh, that's a lot more kuhlis than I was expecting! What a weird and cute tank that would be. Yeah Bucky the betta can keep his tank, its not as much trouble as the big one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my K011 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep... Khulis are a schooling fish and pretty small, so there shouldn't be any problems as long as you manage the water changes.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

29 is only 10 gallon difference with 40 breeder might as well stick with the 40b. I would actually suggest the 20 long. More room for the fish than a standard 20g since you are only doing bottom dwellers. Same foot print as a 29 gallon but shorter.

I would add some top dwelling fish like guppies, danios, or half beaks. I think the canister might be to much current.

29 is only 10 gallon difference with 40 breeder might as well stick with the 40b. I would actually suggest the 20 long. More room for the fish than a standard 20g since you are only doing bottom dwellers. Same foot print as a 29 gallon but shorter.

I would add some top dwelling fish like guppies, danios, or half beaks. I think the canister might be to much current.

Yeah I was thinking about that last night, would a 29 really be small enough to be worth it? The more I think about it, though, the more I don't really want to get rid of any of the fish haha (the danios are old but tank raised from eggs so I'm pretty attached, the gouramis have great personalities, so do the kuhlis, and the pleco is so pretty).

I'd really rather go for the 20 long though, if I do go through with the downgrade. I'm paranoid the apartments are too old to safely hold a 40b on the second floor, or that my landlord will have a fit. I just think I need something smaller, and it would make moving easier too. Oh so many options. :confused:

I'm not sure that you really have to worry about weight until you go bigger than a 40. I have a 150, 90 and 17 in my apartment and have nightmares about the floor breaking, even though I've been assure that it is ok.

I've always found that maintenance is more of a hassle on smaller tanks than larger ones.

I have about 2 or more times the weight of a 40 with my 75... Between the stand and all the filters and rocks etc. i also have a full 29 with a big filter on my Ikea bookshelf. If that price of junk can hold the weight of a 29 then you are safe with the floor. After all, they hold beds and couches that weigh the same or more, and the furniture is balanced on such a small surface area...

Weight-wise, you're fine. And if the landlord really care about the size then you can downgrade.

And why would you go for the 20 over the 29? The weight is no difference, and the only real difference between the 40 and the 29 is the reduced footprint... Do the 29. But i wouldn't downgrade at all.

Back
Top Bottom