Draining a lower tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently I setup a double tank in our basement office. It's one of those iron stands with a 30gallon high on the top and a 20 gallon on the bottom. The problem I'm running into though is that I can't get my syphon to start on the lower tank. I have a syphon with a hand pump for getting it started and it works great on my other tanks but this one is just too low. Anyone have any ideas? I'd rather not have to put my mouth on the hose :p

I'd rather not have to put my mouth on the hose :p
Hey man, if you haven't sucked in a mouthful of tank water, then you can't call yourself a true aquarium lover!!!

But seriously, if you're siphoning into a bucket, then you can get the entire hose full (if it's a short one) but submerging it in the water and then putting your thumb over the end and lifting it out, then put it in the bucket and let go, gravity will take over.

Also as far as the sucking the hose part, what I do (to clean SW sumps, which are usually just a few inches off the ground) it suck in the hose and get enough water in it (about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way) and then lower the end of the hose down so the end is near the water level and let off and on until it gets to the end, then put it in the bucket.

Also, if your tank is full (sump is 1/2 full) then you could put one end in the water, suck really hard on the other end briefly and then point that end back into the tank, momentum will carry the water to the end of the hose, then thumb it and move it.

Hope this helps. But there's just no substitute for sucking.

do you have a faucet close by (within 25 or 50 feet)? If so, a good investment is a python (or a cheaper knock off like the one i got from walmart). i can suck water out of a bucket on the floor through my sink faucet like there is no tomorrow. The best $30 i've ever spent.

I have to agree, that's how I do all my tanks...suck the hose. Haha I just have a designated clean end that I wipe clean every time and I mean it will start the with the smallest of breath.

Draining a lower tank.

Might want check out bilge pumps made for boats.Made in a variety of capacities(the one I use will pump 500gph.)They work off of 12 volts DC so you will need either a plug in power supply to convert your house current or pick up a small gel cell and charger and run it off the gel cell(I use a 4.0 ampere hour battery and charger that I got from Cabela's-they also carry the bilge pumps).Total cost for the pump,battery,and charger came to about $70.00,but has lasted about 4.5 years and is still working.Probably the battery will go bad first but even if you have to get another battery you can still use the old charger.

I've thought about getting a Python but there's one thing I've always wondered. How do you add the dechlorinator? Right now I put it in my 5 gallon bucket before I fill it. It seems with a python you'd be pumping the chlorinated water right into the tank?

i add half the dechlor in before filling up, then add the other half about halfway through... i've never had any problems related to chlorine because of it. on my smaller tanks where it only takes a capful or less of prime, i just add it before filling back up

walmarts have them too.... you dont have to get the name brand any of the water changing systems will work. most chain stores have them and most online stores have them too.

A siphon only works if you have gravity on your side. When I had my 10 gallon tank below my 20 gallon (on an iron stand just like you), I could only do 50% water changes until the siphon would stop working as the water levels became the same height. My 10 was a snail tank and so I would routinuely try to do 80-100% changes but in a normal tank 50% is fine.

NO one should be sucking on the tube to start the siphon! Yuck. For my water changes I use a single piece of 3/4" tubing and simply fill it up 3/4 full in the bathtub (takes 5 seconds, keep it in a U-shape obviously until you're ready to siphon). Now you're primed and ready to go.

walmarts have them too.... you dont have to get the name brand any of the water changing systems will work. most chain stores have them and most online stores have them too.

I bought a 25' one from Walmart for $25. Its made by "Lee's" i believe and it works just as good as my old python.

NO one should be sucking on the tube to start the siphon! Yuck.

It's really not that bad. You don't have to inhale the air, suck on it one good time and it starts the siphon without getting any water in your mouth...

I ended up spending way too much money on one made by Aqueon today at petsmart, it wasn't that much more expensive than ordering online after shipping. I'll give it a whirl tonight. I figure if it works and I use it every single week it's worth the money.

you wont regret it! i was unsure if i should spend $25 on my walmart "python" but i did, and havent regretted it since. its probably the best thing i've spend money on

Back
Top Bottom