Dream reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't run a fuge on mine. Never been able to have macros survive for me. Guess that is a good thing with my nitrates. I have a large oversized skimmer and a ton of flow in my tank. You don't see much settling so it should, in theory, be picked up by the skimmer.

It's a preference but with coral I have seen the benefits. I run mud in mine and then I have a skimmer and everything in the rest if it. I noticed in growth and color with my corals when I added the mud into my fuge.

Wow, your dream tank is exactly what I'm working in right now.
-had a 100 gallon, stand, canopy
*refinished -15*
-had an old sump
Ro/di -150
Live rock/sand-400+

And I'm going to start off as a fowlr and go to reef later with 3 dimmable taotronics
And I still have a bunch of small stuff I need to get.

If I won the lottery, I would build a house around a reef tank!! Right now running a 54g reef and 180g fowler...the dream, 400g +. Boo yah!!!

If I won the lottery, I would build a house around a reef tank!!

A rotating house that turns around a giant cylindrical tank. All one tank, but decorate in different coral themes in quadrants...... not only can you change views outside, but you can sit in the recliner and watch 4 different reefs....(y)

Dream tanks are plumbed into fish rooms, my favorite place in my house. Having room for big sumps, make up water barrels, several skimmers, frag tanks and a sink are wonderful. I can't believe I use to try to fit all this under the tank.

Moving and thking about plumbing through the wall and putting sump chiller and ato outside Ina Rubbermaid storage unit. What do you think?

Thats what I am doing... I am plumbing it through the wall and into a "tank shed" that I threw an ac unit in. works great and now I don't have to buy a chiller :) plan to have a frag tank to propagate and also a quarantine tank for new additions.

Live in Ca I have a chiller and run LEDs wondering if it will stay cool during summers

I run fans, t-5s and the shed. No chiller and I'm in so cal as well. I have only had two or three days during that 110 + week we had while back where my temp hit 82. The new 125 I'm building will have mh so I'm going to add fans and see how that does. Other than those few days, no probs. I did however forget to mention that the air in the house kicks on at 85 at most.

LEDs put off very little heat if any at all. You shouldn't have any probs especially with a chiller.

Are mandarin fish reef safe? They look cool but I would need a good refugium and I would prefer to have no other fish so there's no competition for food.

Yes and I loved mine. He decided to commit suicide a few weeks ago and jump on the glass top unfortunately. I really wanna buy another one but I'm doing an upgrade and wanna get the pods up a bit more before I add another one. The way they swim and have a really cool personality too.

I think I'll stick with the single mandarin. Or is there something I can keep with it.

You can def add a mandarin in with your stock. If I remember you only ha a few fish on your list. They are def one of my favorite fish I watch swim. My wife actually picked mine out and named him tyedye. A friend has three in his 180 and has never had any probs. I am thinking of getting two for my new tank.

I would just go with the one mandarin. I don't think I could have a refugium big enough for three mandarins. It would be cool though.

Jmkb02 said:
I run fans, t-5s and the shed. No chiller and I'm in so cal as well. I have only had two or three days during that 110 + week we had while back where my temp hit 82. The new 125 I'm building will have mh so I'm going to add fans and see how that does. Other than those few days, no probs. I did however forget to mention that the air in the house kicks on at 85 at most.

LEDs put off very little heat if any at all. You shouldn't have any probs especially with a chiller.

Im in nor cal & use LEDs but I had to go with a chiller cuz I got no ac. Room temp caused reef to hit 84 on 95 degree days. I got chiller before summer and 100s started.

I too have expanded thru the wall into the garage for equipment. So far I have 20# Co2 tank, chiller, & second skimmer plumbed thru the wall with ATO, RO/DI, and salt mixing station to follow in time. Wife gets grouchy when I talk about it so I just do it and she finds out after it's done lol.

My dream tank I plan on at some point in this house (hopefully move to better suited house) will be to open a wall and set in a 8' - 10' long x 4' x 4' reef with all equipment in a "mechanical" (bedroom lol) room behind the wall.

bettaowner said:
I would just go with the one mandarin. I don't think I could have a refugium big enough for three mandarins. It would be cool though.

An established tank would be able to sustain three. I wouldn't just go and buy even one for at least a few months. I also know that my buddy adds about a bottle a month of pods. His fuge isn't very big either and they are all nice n fat. He has one that will eat brine but that took him a while to get him to do it.

Back
Top Bottom