Driftwood - Dumb Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I live in WA, could I just use driftwood found on the beaches?
I've seen pieces going for like $100+ but if you just took a trip to the shores you could just grab them free.

I'm guessing there is something that has to do with proper curing? I dunno, just wondering. Plus we're taking a trip there this spring break, so if I could save $100 and find some cool pieces to use in my tank, that'd be awesome :)

Sorry for the dumb question, just curious.
:hide:

It's not a dumb question at all. You could easily go to the water and find some good pieces, just make sure they are hardwood and be sure to boil them or sun bake them for an ample amount of time, and be sure they come from clean waters.

Much of the 'driftwood' that is in the industry is not real driftwood at all, it's just wood. Some of it comes from africa among other countries (mopani comes to mind), while stuff like manzanita comes from here. Most of these trees have not even seen a body of water let alone drifted in one, and it's evident when they are placed into water and they leach tannins.

So a lot of times when you buy driftwood you are paying for the size/shape and type of wood itself.

Awesome! So I could find some good pieces and just boil them for an hour or two and let them sun bake for a couple days?
That's cool... I could cut and break branches to fit the tank/size/shape I want. Perfect for aquascaping!! :cool:

Now I feel dumb for spending $50 on the pieces I already have :lol:

I've used locally collected wood in my tanks. I even have some in my Discus tank. Just scrub real good, soak in boiling water a few times, My pieces were so large I had to use a rubbermaid tub. Then I let them bake in the sun for a few days, then I drilled slate into the bottom of them, soaked them one last time, and put them in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom