Driftwood for Bristlenose Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does a bristlenose pleco require driftwood to survive, or can they get by on algae wafers? If they do need driftwood, where can you get it?

Thanks!

Although I'm sure it is better for their health to have driftwood, I had 2 of them for about a year with no real driftwood and they were fine living off of tank algae and wafers. You can get mopani or Malaysian driftwood from drsfostersmith.com for a very good price though.

I buy babies from a lady who has no driftwood in her tank.

Good quality algae wafers will contain some wood material. Check what's available in your home country.

They can live without it but they prefer to have it. If you are on a budget you can get some Mopani dw from Petco fairly cheaply. I got a really nice big piece for $10. you can get them online if you don't have 1 close. You can also get different types on Amazon and ebay.

I've been wondering if I over did the boiling on the drift wood I bought. The pleco likes it, but he doesn't love it the way I expected.

I've been wondering if I over did the boiling on the drift wood I bought. The pleco likes it, but he doesn't love it the way I expected.

I found they were always on it at the start but now spend most time in their caves. No idea why unless it was the change to better quality wafers.

The driftwood is to help with their digestive tract. While people do have them with out driftwood, I would recommend it.

Not to hijack your thread...but does the type of driftwood matter? I just picked up some manzanita.

Can you get your hands on Sera Catfish Chips? It's a food for plecos that contains 2 or 3 kinds of wood pulp that are beneficial to the pleco.

You should feed bristlenose more than just algae wafers. I feed a good quality algae wafer, zuchini, and (less frequently) shrimp pellets and frozen mysis shrimp.

They need driftwood. It aids in digestion and mimics their natural environment. The softer the wood the better. Mopani is very dense (too dense in my opinion) for plecos. I use Malaysian. It splinters, and I see fragments every now and then, but my bristlenose stays on it constantly. I'm not sure about other woods, but wood is wood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom