Driftwood help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweitzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told driftwood helped to lower the PH so i purchased a piece but was just wondering if i have to do anything to it before putting it in the tank

Most wood straight from the store is okay to go straight in with a minor rinse.

You can boil it to get out tannins and anything else in it.

don't be surprised if it floats. Boiling helps it sink faster.

Driftwood doesn't lower pH, it's the tannins it releases (that stains the water) that lowers pH.

Caleb

Whats your ph at and what are you hoping to drop it to?
What fish are you keeping?

I was told driftwood helped to lower the PH so i purchased a piece but was just wondering if i have to do anything to it before putting it in the tank

If your tap water has a high GH your never really going to get much of a change with driftwood imo.

To get mine below 7 had to switch to RO.

And also your water is going to look very much like tea or rusted by the time it lowers your pH.

Unless your trying to breed or keep wild fish or f1's I'd just acclimate properly your fish will adjust to their new home unless require something far from 7+/-.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had some Malaysian drift wood and boiled it several times and it still turns my water a yellow tent! Even with proper water changes it still gave my water a yellow tent! It's pretty but I don't like my water looking nasty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had some Malaysian drift wood and boiled it several times and it still turns my water a yellow tent! Even with proper water changes it still gave my water a yellow tent! It's pretty but I don't like my water looking nasty

It actually makes the fish more comfortable because the stained water isn't so clear. I had tannins in a tank once and my fish liked it.

Caleb

It actually makes the fish more comfortable because the stained water isn't so clear. I had tannins in a tank once and my fish liked it.

Caleb

Did they tell you:p very seldom do you find crystal clear aquatic environments (what we/I like) in nature. Most feesh we like come from tannic water.. wouldn't say they're happy. . Maybe less stressed under our ridiculous leds and purigen strained water..

Did they tell you:p very seldom do you find crystal clear aquatic environments (what we/I like) in nature. Most feesh we like come from tannic water.. wouldn't say they're happy. . Maybe less stressed under our ridiculous leds and purigen strained water..

I'm the fish whisperer ;)

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom