Driftwood problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sorachanxD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Nice to meet you all! I recently started up a tank and I have a couple of questions.

My tank finished cycling and I added a couple of fish (2 long black skirt tetras and 2 buenos aires tetras) to my tank. I have a couple of plants in there, a couple of rocks, and a large piece of driftwood. However, I recently noticed that there is some discoloration in my water (it looks kind of yellow-orange-ish) and some fungus-looking things growing from between the bark and the wood.

I received the driftwood last year from a former aquarist. It hasn't been in water before this for over 6 months, at least; I'm not sure what kind of wood it is; I did not know that I had to boil or let the wood soak... would it be harmful to my fish if I didn't boil it or let it soak? I read that some fish, including tetras, prefer the discolored water with driftwood, but I'm a little concerned about the fungus thing since it seems to be floating around my tank :(

Would it be too late to boil the water? My tank has been running for a week and my driftwood has been in the tank for about a week and a day, but I didn't see any color change or slime-fungus-things the first day I put it in.

Thanks for your help :'D

For the tannins that the wood is leaching just do water changes. The fungus is common in lots of types of wood. When you do the water changes suck up the fungus off the wood. It does go away on its own eventually in most cases

Back
Top Bottom